• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Horrible Temperatures

Hexus0

Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
590
Hey everyone, well since the last thread I made I've been trying to solve the reason why I've been getting bad temperatures. I'll start off with my specs:

Lian-Li PC-60 modded w/ a Antec Tricool 120MM blowhole
AMD 3200+ Winchester cooled by an XP-90 w/ AS5 + Panaflo L1BX (42CFM@27DBA)
BFG 6800 Ultra cooled Zalman VF-700CU w/AS5 + Ramsinks
(The rest of the parts are in my signature)

My Lian-Li has 2 80MM fans in the front, an 80MM rear fan exhausting air, and a 120MM blowhole also taking out air. It's been a couple of weeks since I installed my XP-90, I've tried to reinstall it a couple of times, and the third time, I decided I'd let it sit, along with my Zalman VF-700CU, so far I've still been getting horrible temperatures. CPU Idle: 42C and the load about 60C. My GPU temps are now at 55C idle from being around 48C before! Things are definately getting worse. Room temperature has to be no more then 75C, I'm wearing 2 shirts and jeans, and I'm cold...

I've tried numerous things to solve the problem, I took off my side panel and let it sit like that, I was recieving a little bit lower temps, but not much. I've tried a 120MM intake fan on my side panel (I have 2 side panels, a window one and one with an intake) and still haven't recieved any lower temps. I tried placing a 120MM where the floppy cage is, still the same temps.

How is it that my parts are running so hot?! Before using the XP-90 I was runing 36C-42C idle, now I'm just getting 42C with a aftermarket heatsink that everyone claims to get 30C? Either I'm doing something wrong or the heatsink isn't working correctly.

I don't know what to think? I spent ~$100 for sleeved cables, a XP-90 + fan, AS5, and a Zalman VF-700CU, I really don't understand what the point of spending all that money was if I'm getting worse temperatures? Does anyone have any solutions or ideas of what I should do?
 
Pretty puzzling situation. I'll take a shot in the dark for ya. Try not using the 120mm. Sounds like you may have bad airflow, I had a similar setup and had a 120mm blowing out the back, shut it off and things improved. Do you have a fan on your RAM? RAM can get damn hot, create hotspots in your case. Also, how long has your cpu heatsink been on? Sometimes takes sometime for them to break in. Wish I had some more concrete advice for ya...
 
The heatsink has been on for about 2 weeks now, haven't touched it since. I don't think my RAM is causing the CPU to run at 42C, but I do have heatspreaders on them and the XP-90 sits over the RAM so it cools down the RAM I guess
 
1. Is it stable under heavy loads
2. Was it running cooler and changed suddenly?
3. Is the BIOS version you are using known to have temp reporting issues? (many do) you might try a different version...
4. How hot is the actual heatsink if you touch it while it is at max cpu temp?

I would say that if your heatsink is contacting the cpu properly (check the pattern) and you have good airflow, and the system is stable...then you are seeing erroneous temp readings...very common, in fact, most mobos are off several degrees anyway....
 
make sure you are not using to much thermal paste (as5) You only need a super thin layer.. to much and your temps will raise, the thermal paste is only to fill in the cracks and crevasis(sp?) between your cpu and hsf.. not to create a blanket between them.
 
Back
Top