Horrible benchmark 9800gt?

As much as I like this 939 rig, and I wish it was easy to upgrade it, trying to find a dual core 939 is not worth it, IMHO. The best price I found was like $250 and for that you are more than half way to a new AM3 rig.

You can pick up a used one for $50-$60, even cheaper if you take your time and wait for a deal to show up.
 
As much as I like this 939 rig, and I wish it was easy to upgrade it, trying to find a dual core 939 is not worth it, IMHO. The best price I found was like $250 and for that you are more than half way to a new AM3 rig.

You are looking at the rare high end 939s which fetch high prices due to rarity.

You need to buy one of the very common 3800+ X2's. Those can be had for $30-$60 used. Then you overclock it to 3GHz.
 
You can pick up a used one for $50-$60, even cheaper if you take your time and wait for a deal to show up.

You might (or might not) be able to find a used one for a cheap price, but TBH, would you waste the time trying to find one that may have been OC'd the hell out of, and possibly damaged? I have had bad experiences buying used procs and videocards in the past, getting them only to have them be worn out by someone who pushed the thing past it's life. I usually dont mind using a used item, but for those two I almost insist on using new (unless I know the person / part personally and know I can get my $$ back).

You are looking at the rare high end 939s which fetch high prices due to rarity.

You need to buy one of the very common 3800+ X2's. Those can be had for $30-$60 used. Then you overclock it to 3GHz.

ya I was looking for a 4800+ x2 939, which is impossible to find cheap... but I never even saw a 3800+ x2 939 at all either.


All in all, it's still a better road to spend $100 on a new AM3 Chip, $50 on a new MB, $100 on new RAM and have a better system than this. I wish it wasn't but it is.

... and again we are both entitled to our opinions, which we are both stating...
 
Last edited:
3200 Was an epic processor. Viable for years. But alas, time to upgrade. I use the one i have for my HTPC/spare gaming rig when friends come over to play AOE2.C&C UT2K4. Ill have it for years to come.
 
I think everything other than the GPU is holding you back. My 9800GT plays GREAT, but doesn't do fantastic in benchmarks.
 
Actually I keep playing source on it and its making me want to keep it, so obviously I don't think this computer is a peice of shit!

The PSU and video card alone is worth $130, plus a LEGITIMATE PHYSICAL copy of windows 7?

If its not worth it to you i dont care, judging by the other posts in the surrounding area its deffinenlty worth this price around here.


Dude give it up,its not a POS, it IS an old rig. Id sell it for 100$ on CL. Just becuase you see listing for more expensive puters on CL doesn't mean they are selling. Its a great old system and everyone here loves old AMD stuff but just stop it. Its outdated and if its a Nforce4 MOBO its going to go out soon anyway.

Stop being ghetto, got to best buy, get a 300$ compaq and a 100$ video card and play some games. Your over thinking this.
 
All in all, it's still a better road to spend $100 on a new AM3 Chip, $50 on a new MB, $100 on new RAM and have a better system than this. I wish it wasn't but it is.

... and again we are both entitled to our opinions, which we are both stating...

That's $250 and not worth it. If you can find a used 3800+ X2 (I've seen them on Craigslist, Kijiji, Ebay, etc.) for around $60 it will be night and day for his system and he'll be able to continue using it. My 3800+ was great until last year and the only reason I switched was because the motherboard died.

If he were to spend $250, he might as well move over to a used 775 system. Q6600 for ~$110, P45 motherboard for $80 on sale, and some cheap DDR2 for $60.
 
That's $250 and not worth it. If you can find a used 3800+ X2 (I've seen them on Craigslist, Kijiji, Ebay, etc.) for around $60 it will be night and day for his system and he'll be able to continue using it. My 3800+ was great until last year and the only reason I switched was because the motherboard died.

If he were to spend $250, he might as well move over to a used 775 system. Q6600 for ~$110, P45 motherboard for $80 on sale, and some cheap DDR2 for $60.

It would totally be worth it for an new AM3 system with DDR3 memory and a future.

Again, used systems are just that, USED, and usually ABUSED. DDR2 is already dead. 775 system... DEAD. Why spend money on a dead end system when you can have something that can be upgraded in the future that is new, out of box, and guaranteed.

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($60)
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX ($100)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ($100)


 
It would totally be worth it for an new AM3 system with DDR3 memory and a future.

Again, used systems are just that, USED, and usually ABUSED. DDR2 is already dead. 775 system... DEAD. Why spend money on a dead end system when you can have something that can be upgraded in the future that is new, out of box, and guaranteed.

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($60)
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX ($100)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ($100)



It depends whether or not you value immediate performance value vs. upgrade potential. New parts invariably cost more, maybe not be faster in terms of equivalent performance, and you make sacrifices to get under budget, such as you choosing an ASRock Motherboard.
 
Last edited:
It depends whether or not you value immediate performance value vs. upgrade potential. New parts invariably cost more, maybe not be faster in terms of equivalent performance, and you make sacrifices to get under budget, such as you choosing an ASRock Motherboard.

I think the parts I linked to have both immediate performance value AND upgrade potential.

They do cost slightly more than a used board, but there is no sacrifice. ASRock may be a "budget minded" company, but they are managed by Asus, and maybe it does not have all the bells and whistles of a $150 motherboard, my ASRock has been a solid performer and without fail for many many years. Just because it cost less does not automatically mean it is a lesser quality.

The parts I listed are the EXACT parts I am going to order next month for upgrade. I think I will be happy.
 
Thank you all so much for the great advice. I wish I would've got some of this advice sooner, before i purchased my am3 components, but better late than never. Honestly I would've much preferred the 939 upgrade route with a x2 3800+ for 40 dollars on ebay and I have an extra 1.5gb of ram so 3.5gb for 32 bit i think I would've got ALOT more life out of my pc, but anyways heres what I got:

MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard - $60
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR3 PC3 10600 -$40
(If it's not enough Ill just get another, but I dont think it's DIMM, is that ok?):
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148226
And a x2 II 250 - $60

so now I don't have to get rid of my nice case and 600w psu and 7200rpm hard drive ill just put my new am3 build in it.

I decided to keep my old rig (thanks to your great advice, i also have friends that like to come over and play source, and aoe2 :) )

and for the old machine i bought a case for $25 and 350w psu for $20 and a 6600 from evga b-stock for $20 and Ill put the 939 system in that (do you think the 6600 will go good with that system and be alright for source, and moderate games) I may still get the 3800+ for the old rig considering its only $40 and i agree it will make a huge difference, I just hope im not stuck wondering why i forked out so much for this new rig when the old one is perfectly acceptable! lol thanks to all the "obsolete" [h]ardasses
 
Thank you all so much for the great advice. I wish I would've got some of this advice sooner, before i purchased my am3 components, but better late than never. Honestly I would've much preferred the 939 upgrade route with a x2 3800+ for 40 dollars on ebay and I have an extra 1.5gb of ram so 3.5gb for 32 bit i think I would've got ALOT more life out of my pc, but anyways heres what I got:

MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard - $60
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR3 PC3 10600 -$40
(If it's not enough Ill just get another, but I dont think it's DIMM, is that ok?):
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148226
And a x2 II 250 - $60

so now I don't have to get rid of my nice case and 600w psu and 7200rpm hard drive ill just put my new am3 build in it.

I decided to keep my old rig (thanks to your great advice, i also have friends that like to come over and play source, and aoe2 :) )

and for the old machine i bought a case for $25 and 350w psu for $20 and a 6600 from evga b-stock for $20 and Ill put the 939 system in that (do you think the 6600 will go good with that system and be alright for source, and moderate games) I may still get the 3800+ for the old rig considering its only $40 and i agree it will make a huge difference, I just hope im not stuck wondering why i forked out so much for this new rig when the old one is perfectly acceptable! lol thanks to all the "obsolete" [h]ardasses

Yeah, this was definitely a smart choice. Going the 939 route wouldn't have done much to improve anything. It's good that you had the other parts though, so this upgrade is totally worth your time. ;)
 
This thread is making me wonder how much my old 939 stuff is worth. I have a Opteron 165 that clocks to 3 ghz. I finally replaced it after getting stuttering in FO3 (strangely, it ran Crysis fine).
 
Back
Top