• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Horrible benchmark 9800gt?

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
1,775
My specs:

EVGA k8-133-nf41 sli socket 939
AMD 64 3200+
Galaxy 9800gt
2gb ddr pc3200

I was upset with my performance in crysis so I decided to run a few benchmarks:
3dmark vantage was getting 5-15fps so i quit! That just didn't seem right.
Next I tried 3dmark05 and ended with 8113 total, 4105 for cpu.

Over at notebookcheck.net the 9800M GT gets an average 15000, WTF!!! Not to mention all the other notebook GPU's that should be worse than mine, getting much higher scores.

I realize my CPU is a bottleneck, but it can't be that much can it?
 
CPU is really bottlenecking the GPU. I'd change the mobo/cpu/ram.
 
You have very little memory for modern gaming.
Your CPU is quite dated.
Crysis is extremely demanding.
 
As the others have said, your CPU is woefully obsolete. My old Athlon 64 3000+ can barely deal with flash games, let alone modern ones. Try upgrading to a quad core with 4 or 8 gigs of RAM. Then you will really see a performance boost.
 
I agree with the general consensus;your CPU is really holding you back.
 
As the others have said, your CPU is woefully obsolete. My old Athlon 64 3000+ can barely deal with flash games, let alone modern ones. Try upgrading to a quad core with 4 or 8 gigs of RAM. Then you will really see a performance boost.

Even a modern dual core clocked at 3.0GHz-ish and 2-4GB RAM will be a good upgrade.
 
Your system is obsolete beyond salvation. You need a completely new rig.
 
so with an 2 x2 250 and 4gb ddr2 and the 9800gt i should be in the 15000 range?

sheesh i better be if those notebooks are
 
My specs:

EVGA k8-133-nf41 sli socket 939
AMD 64 3200+
Galaxy 9800gt
2gb ddr pc3200

I was upset with my performance in crysis so I decided to run a few benchmarks:
3dmark vantage was getting 5-15fps so i quit! That just didn't seem right.
Next I tried 3dmark05 and ended with 8113 total, 4105 for cpu.

Over at notebookcheck.net the 9800M GT gets an average 15000, WTF!!! Not to mention all the other notebook GPU's that should be worse than mine, getting much higher scores.

I realize my CPU is a bottleneck, but it can't be that much can it?

Yeah, the CPU is beyond a massive bottleneck. That processor is over 6 years old, even my dual core Atom N330 is faster than the 3200+ is (mine is about on par with a single-core 4000+).

IF you don't want to move to a new machine, the best you can do is get an FX-60, or if you can't find one, get an X2 processor. Even a lowly 3800+ X2 will greatly increase your performance.

In the end though, unless you can find one for under $30, it just isn't worth it. Oh, make sure your memory is running in dual channel as well, single channel DDR is starting to show its age and may be a slight bottleneck. Also, if you can up your memory to 3 or 4GB, that would help out a lot as well since 2GB is kind of limiting for modern games and benchmarks.

In all seriousness, your 3200+ is bottlenecking the crap out of that card. You'll be lucky to even get 40% of the 9800GT's processing power. Even back when I was running my 3800+ X2 939 with a 9800GT, I was lucky to get 70-80% out of that GPU.

If you want to game at more than 15-20fps, I would start saving for a newer machine (at least a 2007-2008 build or parts).
 
5 years on a tech forum yet you are perplexed that an old single core cpu can hold a 9800gt back??? you are literally throwing more than half of what a 9800gt can do in games right down the drain with that cpu. heck that cpu would be like me lowering my E8500 to 1.5 and disabling one core. :eek:
 
5 years on a tech forum yet you are perplexed that an old single core cpu can hold a 9800gt back??? you are literally throwing more than half of what a 9800gt can do in games right down the drain with that cpu. heck that cpu would be like me lowering my E8500 to 1.5 and disabling one core. :eek:

that CPU is a dual core...
 
huh, thought it was a dual core.. guess not..

then this is beyond simple CPU upgrade....
yeah the A64 3600 X2 was the lowest dual core AMD made. the A64 3200+ basically competed with the 3.2-3.6 P4 so yeah its woefully slow for most modern games and has no business being paired with a 9800gt.
 
yeah the A64 3600 X2 was the lowest dual core AMD made. the A64 3200+ basically competed with the 3.2-3.6 P4 so yeah its woefully slow for most modern games and has no business being paired with a 9800gt.

Exactly. Even my old 3800+ X2 held back by 9800GT by about 20-30% (maybe more in certain games). Like I said, even my netbook processor is more powerful than the OP's CPU, haha. I think it's time for an upgrade. ;)
 
cpu/mobo/ram. i came from an Amd 3700+, 1gb ddr,9600gt. to a phenom 2 x2 545, 2gb ddr3, 9600gt. i mostly play BC2 and TF2 and i get rock solid performance.


and, as a bonus i can unlock and overclock my x2 545 to an x4 @ 3.6ghz.

so i really went from an 3700+ to basically a PII x4 940. and WOW was i amased.

before hand, I couldn't max out BF2 with my 3700+. Soon as i threw in the x2 545 i could max it out and it stays at a constant 80+ fps.



hope this helps!
 
I would grab a Phenom II AM3 cpu/mobo/ram, shouldn't really cost you all that much, and should solve all your problems.

Maybe a Core i5 also, haven't really kept up with prices.
 
Awesome advice!

Before this thread I was actually in the process of uprading cpu/motherboard/ram, so I currently have a II x2 250 and 2gb of patriot ddr2 sitting here. I had to RMA 2 motherboards (first one was a refurb and would randomly freeze, second one started smoking!) so i got frustrated and put the computer back the way it was with the socket 939 3200+.

Now im not sure what to do, I posted the computer on craigslist and was planning on RMA'ing the x2 250 and using the ddr2 in another machine and investing in a laptop for school/moderate gaming.

Here's my craigslist ad (I may have exagerated the any game you throw at it a little :)):
http://medford.craigslist.org/sys/1857477118.html

But now I think I will be sad to see this go, and I found a x2 3800+ for $30 dollars on craigslist, as well as 1 gig of ddr for $30 and i have 512 sitting here, that would put me at 3.5 32bit max. With these cheap upgrades I think this could be a fun machine. Think I should keep it and see how it improves, or start over?
 
you are going to lose your dual channel memory setup putting in goofy amounts of ram but I guess its better than having only 1 or 2 gb though. a 3800 X2 is a relatively poor cpu for modern games but will be an improvement over the single core 3200.
 
I actually have 2x512 DIMM coming in the mail, should I use that for 3gb instead of the goofy setup for 3.5? It is 32bit windows 7.

If I do 2x1gb + 1gb +512 would the 2x1 still be dimm while the other 2 are not, or does it ruin the whole thing.
 
Awesome advice!

Before this thread I was actually in the process of uprading cpu/motherboard/ram, so I currently have a II x2 250 and 2gb of patriot ddr2 sitting here. I had to RMA 2 motherboards (first one was a refurb and would randomly freeze, second one started smoking!) so i got frustrated and put the computer back the way it was with the socket 939 3200+.

Now im not sure what to do, I posted the computer on craigslist and was planning on RMA'ing the x2 250 and using the ddr2 in another machine and investing in a laptop for school/moderate gaming.

Here's my craigslist ad (I may have exagerated the any game you throw at it a little :)):
http://medford.craigslist.org/sys/1857477118.html

But now I think I will be sad to see this go, and I found a x2 3800+ for $30 dollars on craigslist, as well as 1 gig of ddr for $30 and i have 512 sitting here, that would put me at 3.5 32bit max. With these cheap upgrades I think this could be a fun machine. Think I should keep it and see how it improves, or start over?

don't spend money on anything for s939 system. seriously its done and not something you will turn into a fun machine unless your idea of fun is banging your head on a wall. moving up to 3800 x2 will still result in you being disappointed (its better, however it still sucks).

you are just trying to rip someone off with your craigslist posting. really no reason to fill it with a bunch of shit and lies, someone might actually buy that based on your bs claims and be really let down.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
saying "and can handle any game you throw at it" in your ad is basically a lie since that cpu doesnt even meet the min requirements of some games. :eek:
 
It may be lie, but I don't think anyone will pay $250 for a single core A64.
 
Its $250 cheaper than any other "gaming computer" here on craigslist, some with specs not much greater, and the only other $250 comp is an HP with single core p4 3.0. I will update my info an possibly move it down to $200, but technically it will run crysis on medium well, low definently, so what other game is there that my info is mis leading about.im sure it will play anything.
 
well if someone actually buys that thinking they can play modern games they will not be happy. just because it has an okay midrange video card doesn't make it a "gaming computer". certainly not one you should be falsely claiming can run any game you throw at it. yeah for 250 bucks they should know better but some people don't.
 
Its $250 cheaper than any other "gaming computer" here on craigslist, some with specs not much greater, and the only other $250 comp is an HP with single core p4 3.0. I will update my info an possibly move it down to $200, but technically it will run crysis on medium well, low definently, so what other game is there that my info is mis leading about.im sure it will play anything.

That computer is a piece of shit and you know it. It will definitely not properly run "any game" and it is pretty much a douchebag move to list it as such.
 
Actually I keep playing source on it and its making me want to keep it, so obviously I don't think this computer is a peice of shit!

The PSU and video card alone is worth $130, plus a LEGITIMATE PHYSICAL copy of windows 7?

If its not worth it to you i dont care, judging by the other posts in the surrounding area its deffinenlty worth this price around here.
 
its not a horrible price but overall its not going to really function as a modern gaming pc with a nearly 7 year old single core cpu. I would list it as you former gaming rig that can still play some games.
 
Prices seems about right but anybody who knows anything about computers is going to question your credibility when you say it can play any game.
 
Actually I keep playing source on it and its making me want to keep it, so obviously I don't think this computer is a peice of shit!

The PSU and video card alone is worth $130, plus a LEGITIMATE PHYSICAL copy of windows 7?

If its not worth it to you i dont care, judging by the other posts in the surrounding area its deffinenlty worth this price around here.

Source can run on my netbook with flying colors, that doesn't mean it's a "gaming computer" by any sense of the term. Remember, Source is from 2004, and the updates didn't bring much to system requirements.

If I were you, I'd sell the components separately or the whole system for sub $200. Otherwise, this is kind of a douchy move.

I think about $180 and saying that it is a 2005/2006 gaming machine would be cool, but when people read "gaming machine" they think 2009/2010. Specify the year in it so they know it's age at least.

btw, there are LOTS of games that CPU couldn't even begin to touch, such as modern RTS games. Most system requirements on modern (2010) games have CPU req. for dual cores, not even single cores.
 
Its $250 cheaper than any other "gaming computer" here on craigslist, some with specs not much greater, and the only other $250 comp is an HP with single core p4 3.0. I will update my info an possibly move it down to $200, but technically it will run crysis on medium well, low definently, so what other game is there that my info is mis leading about.im sure it will play anything.

Sure you can call it a gaming computer, "of the past". But not modern by todays standards.

I wouldn't consider "any" HP to be gaming either, regardless of what card is in it.

Crysis on medium? What are you smoking? Can I have some?

Actually I keep playing source on it and its making me want to keep it

CS: Source ran well on my old Radeon 9500 pro, and it's a much slower card.

so obviously I don't think this computer is a peice of shit!

No wonder the price is so high. It's still worthless.


The PSU and video card alone is worth $130, plus a LEGITIMATE PHYSICAL copy of windows 7?

If its not worth it to you i dont care, judging by the other posts in the surrounding area its deffinenlty worth this price around here.

No one cares about a legit copy of Windoze, unless they want MSE.

This isn't [Frail]OCP.
 
Here is the thing, I dont think your rig is 100% worthless, but it is aging. It is nearly identical to my current rig (see sig), but I am about to upgrade.

This old 939 has been real good to me, and I will be turning it into my dvd dupe/burn box when it is done playing games.

Good luck getting your new rig built, and if you have to sell the old one, you might just be better off keeping it as a spare.
 
my "main" rig is an 4200 x2 939, 2gb ram, 9800gt and it handles ever game I've thrown at it.

Try to find a 4200x2 as a simple upgrade, I know its not optimal but it should help. I've played crysis on my setup without a hitch.
 
Your system is obsolete beyond salvation. You need a completely new rig.

Not true. He just needs a dual core S939 processor clocked at or overclocked to 2.5-3GHz.

My X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz w/ 8800GT and 2GB PC-4000 could handle Crysis on nearly max settings (no AA though) @ 1680x1050 (except for the buggy last level).

It is true though, however, that the 3200+ single core he has is pretty bad.

YamahaAlex37, just go for an X2 processor, but like I said, you'll need to get it over 2.5GHz to make it a "fun" machine again. A dual core in that system will be like night and day. My old X2 system has been retired into a home theatre PC and it's still awesome.
 
Last edited:
my "main" rig is an 4200 x2 939, 2gb ram, 9800gt and it handles ever game I've thrown at it.

Try to find a 4200x2 as a simple upgrade, I know its not optimal but it should help. I've played crysis on my setup without a hitch.

As much as I like this 939 rig, and I wish it was easy to upgrade it, trying to find a dual core 939 is not worth it, IMHO. The best price I found was like $250 and for that you are more than half way to a new AM3 rig.
 
Back
Top