Horizontal "bars" on a large CRT?

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been hearing things about some larger CRT monitors (19"+) having whiteish bars appearing on the upper half of the screen, and becoming increasingly visible on dark screens (obviously). I was wondering if someone could explain this issue to me, as well as let me know what kind of monitors usually get this (aperature grille, shadow mask, etc?), and even some particular brands and models if possible.

If you have a large CRT screen and don't notice anything like this, please check in and let me know, tell me what brand and model you have.

its trinitron moniters... they have 2 bars that go across the screen to keep everything where it should be, and they slightly show up... some times...

Falls Included said:
its trinitron moniters... they have 2 bars that go across the screen to keep everything where it should be, and they slightly show up... some times...
No, Trinitron (and Diamondtron) monitors have either one or two *dark* lines running horizontally. Each line is caused by a very thin wire running the width of the screen, the wire is there to support the aperture grill.

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/definition.php?trinitron

The apature grille Lines are not lines they are shadows from the damper wires. Shadows cannot be vblack nor white just a shade of grey

they are grey and they are normal

I like appature grille monitors and love the damper wires. i think they show quality and the clarity you get from AG monitors is supiror

Aperture Grille wires annoy me. People always say "oh but you can only see them on very bright backgrounds". Well guess what. Most of the time my background is the brightest possible - white. Once I know they are there I always see them.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
The only thing better than AG CRT's is that IBM $8,300 US LCD monitor. Would you rather have inaccurate color?
Who said anything about colors and LCDs? Since you're asking, yes. I don't need the most accurate color possible as I'm not a graphic professional. I'm typing this on a Mitsubishi 930SB which is one of the most respected AG CRTs and I still like my LCD better overall.

That's cool. You just have to realize that not everyone will find CRTs to be better than LCDs. Everyone has specific needs and tastes and both technologies have their upsides and downsides. Some people are making it sound like CRTs are perfect which is far from truth.

Very true, no monitor is perfect and thats why they make different kinds, but for color and image accuracy, CRT's are mostly the pick, for space saving LCD is definitely the way to go.

This guys problem sounds like his monitor is dying actually, since there are white lines on it rather than the AG dampening wires. Maybe even a videocard, cable or connector problem. He should do some checking on all of those things. Are the cables crimped or cut, is the monitor near a strong magnet or electric motor, is the connector securely plugged in and clean?

They need to perfect LCD manufacturing. Fucking dead pixels and backlight leakage isn't acceptable on a $300+ dollar unit IMO.

Back