*Hopefully* THE Windows Mobile Software Thread

FibreChanMan

[H]ard|Gawd
I know lots of us have Windows Mobile (I have 5.0 on my Moto Q with Verizon), so I wanted to get this thread together to get links of good/useful applications, themes, games, tricks/tips, etc.... Also, please specify what version OS this falls under (i.e, 5.0, 6.0, 2002, 2003, etc...), and any special caveats you can add that could help.

Thanks!

:D

For you people who can upgrade to it, I suggest going to version 6.1. It cleans up the navigation on the homepage so nicely. On the downside, its just the home page that gets most of the redesigning, the rest of the start menus, etc are still the same. Im sure in versions. 6.2, 6.3, etc we will see more UI redesigns to match that of the homepage. "IM style" texts are nice though.

Just a few apps that I use: WM 5.0 Smartphone Edition BlackJack I

Google Maps
Google Search
OneNote Mobile 2007
Live Communicator 2007
SiriusWM5 Player

Free Apps i use on my ATT Tilt

Google Maps
Opera 9.5 Beta (best webbrowser i have ever used)
Skyfire (only for youtube tho)
Total Commander (best file explorer replacement ever!)
BeeJive (for all my instant messaging needs)

Thats it for now

Apps I use regularly:

Live Search (mapping/yellow pages)
Total Commander
Pocket Sand (keeps kids occupied)
The Core Pocket Media Player (streaming video, media player replacement)
Octrotalk (jabber client)

I custom-build my installs using the PPCGeeks program, it's pretty sweet being able to check a bunch of boxes for what you want and just flash it to your phone.

WM 6.1 is my favorite right now.

Try Vtap for youtube videos and Wiki content streaming on the fly.

Sbp Weather with a Weather Channel template is another nice addition.;)

I just want a snappier OS.

That and Fring is great. Voice calls actually works even on EDGE connections.

For youtube I have found that coreplayer works quite well. Although you have to browse and search videos using a browser first though (then just copy the video ID to coreplayer).

Google Maps. Wonderful program BUT BUT BUT only limited to local languages, rendering it totally useless when you travel to non-latin character countries....

My favorite apps in WM6 on my BlackJack 2:

FlexMail 4
Opera Mobile
Live Search
Google Maps
Mundu IM+
Astraware Solitaire
MS Voice Command
SBSH Facade
Fizz Weather

For my Tilt with WM6.1

Opera Mini
VoIP plugin
RSS today plugin
TomTom GPS
Microsoft Live Search
Google Maps
Core Player
MobiTV
XM Radio
Total Commander
Voice Command + Announcements
HTC Home plugin+ Customizer
Google Android beta

ATT 8525 with WM6.1

Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta
TCPMP
Torch
Google Maps
Skype PPC
HTC Home Plugin
PPC VNC Viewer
PocketXPDF Viewer
PocketCM Keyboard/Contact Manager
PHM Regedit

Very happy with WM6.1 over WM6..fixed a few niggling issues I had.

Oh, one more app I use a lot. <plug>I wrote it.</plug>

http://www.zoan.net/wp/?p=35

The only thing it does is toggle bluetooth on or off every time it's run. I use it with Voice Command instead of hunting through menus or using the BJ Fn+B shortcut.

Anyone know of a decent weather app that works with the sliding panel home screen in WM6.1? It could be pebkac, but NRG Chome Weather sucks.

Everybody should try flashing starbase64 to their wm devices. It's basically just the OS, no programs or anything... but it's the fastest WM os I've ever used.

just a bump. was looking for an essential app thread and this looks like it's it. just upgraded to a treo pro and should be getting it in a day or so. finally got sick of palm os crashing on me for stupid things. example being entering a password in blazer that begins with a _ . soon as you enter the _, the thing freezes completely and the battery has to be taken out. i've never seen such a thing happen before lol. anyway, i hope the treo pro is much better. i've already gotten used to the keyboard so i should be good to go. text twist was definitely a big help :)

Everybody should try flashing starbase64 to their wm devices. It's basically just the OS, no programs or anything... but it's the fastest WM os I've ever used.

2 questions:

Does it work on all WM phones? (or at least on a moto q9c)

Where can i download it?

GSplayer - my favorite mp3 player for the phone...shoutcast support
SpB time - use this to turn my phone into a daily alarm - regular alarm clocks are a thing of the past.

subsonic (for windows) - really slick web based music streaming app (open source) with this on my server and GSplayer on my phone, my phone is a ipod with 3TB of storage :D

reviving a slightly old thread...

where are the best places to find WinMo software?

I found www.wm6software.net but it's a bit lacking, not too much there.
I know there's also download.com

any other good sites out there?

update:

I've been using the Skyfire mobile browser, and it's kickass... highly recommended.

att htc tilt
I use - opera mobile
skyfire (which sucks but it plays youtube, sorta)
google maps
live(good for finding food)
I wish there were more fun things to do with it though. Maybe some games?

Skyfire > Opera Mini ... I'm using it on the Tilt as well. It's about 10x better than internet explorer, and a considerable amount better than opera mini. It's faster, it has great flash support, better zooming and scrolling functionality, and overall provides a better surfing experience based on what it would be compared to a desktop/laptop. It's a similar experience to the iPhone browser in terms of use, but obviously has better support.

GoogleMaps - of course
Opera Mini - Skyfire's resolution looks pretty bad when zooming and Fuze has a YouTube app.
Palringo - Complete Instant Messanger
TinyTwitter - Tweet tweet
Core Player - More media, more better

Anyone know where I can get a usb to headphone adapter for the HTC tilt? I went to radio shack and they told me they didn't cary the right ones ( they had the cable, but it wouldn't work on my phone, we tested.

I upgraded my MotoQ from the 5.0 to the 6.1 and love every minute of it. I don't have too many apps on it right now, but I do have some ebooks on it. No data plan (yet), so the internet is out.

I suggest jumping to the WM6.1 on your Q.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back