Hopefully I can get through this before it locks up

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
I'm about at the end of my leash. Recently moved all my hardware over to a a new case with custom loop. Pretty uneventful and temps are good, actually about -5c less than before.

I have a Asus Z170 S which has drove me crazy since day 1, won't overclock, won't show bios screen on boot sometimes, etc. I've just lived with it since the system is stable once in Windows.

Last night I noticed the my frame rates were crap in CSGO so I checked it in Heaven benchmark and terrible....like 30 fps bad. I disable any programs running and try again, same thing.

One thing I noticed was my core clock was sitting at over 1600 Mhz at idle 56c no fans running. What the hell, I was running ASUS tweak. I read where sometime it can cause issues, so I attempted to remove it and couldn't. Finally found ASUS's own removal tool and got rid of it. Loaded up GPU_Z and clocks were back to normal.

Heaven was still a pig as was CSGO. Crap, did this fry my card ?

Used good old onboard graphics with every setting on basic running at 1920x1080, still a pig.

Don't have another card to test with, so this makes it hard.

Now I have the core p5 and I know it has riser card issues, but I have 2 of them, so hopefully they can't both be bad. I tried on 2 diff slots.

Finally did what I didn't want to, I reinstalled windows. Same result. Now pretty safe to say this is a hardware issue. I set bios back to defaults since it was running memory too slow and it looks like the lockup have stopped. For now.

I tried swapping memory around to eliminate that as a issue. CPU's seldom go bad, so I'm leaning towards the motherboard. I may try to throw the GPU in the other system tomorrow to see if it behaves over there so I can eliminate one possible problem. Here are my specs if you guys want to offer some opinions.

6700k @ 4.0 ghz
Asus Z170 S
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 Mhz 2x8 GB
Asus Strix 1070
Corsair RMi 850w w/ cablemod cables

Those are the core components.

lol at the rant post.

man relax, just go to the xbox app and disable Game DVR which is turned on by default, if it's too hard, just uninstall it.. enjoy your CSGO FPS as they should be..

on the other hand, with the card you have as most recent GPUs they have a fan off feature, which fans aren't turned on until they reach 60C. That's all..

About the sometimes no video issue, just go to the BIOS and force PCI-E as primary video output, that should disable the iGPU and help with the issue. Also you may want to test with stock power cables, sometimes a bad connector or damaged cable can cause that issue with aftermarket power cables.

Tried your suggestions Araxie, still no dice.

1. GameDVR isn't running since I don't even have the Xbox app enabled, no profile. ( PC was running fine with the exception of the strange boot issues )
2. Tried the OEM PSU cables
3. Remove 1070 and riser card, used onboard Intel 530 graphics

This leaves me at CPU and MB. I know the failure rate of a CPU is extremely rare, but who knows. Oh and I left out some info that is probably important.
I had a second riser card I installed since I knew I would be going to SLI in the short term, that is when the problems started. Is there a chance that card fried something
on the PCI bus ?

After messing around all day, I put the riser card back in and fired it back up. It was still stuttering, but now I could hear a buzzing sound, like electrical buzzing. I start trying to figure out where it's coming from, I pull the riser cable away from the motherboard and the buzzing stops. Hmmm....fire up some benchmarks and everything is at full frames again. Apparently these things are very poorly shielded and cause some cross talk. To think, I was about a hour away from buying a new motherboard.

Back