hooking xbox to computer?

coldgold111

Weaksauce
i have an xbox with all the standard stuff... what do i need to hook the xbox up to my computer thru my graphics card which is a nvidia geforce 5200 fx ... there is a dvi slot open and also an s-video input open... what to do what to do?

thanks
-Ryan :)

try a svideo converter
i hook my ps2 up to my video card some times but for some reason the quality is worse than on tv ;x

If you have a card with video IN you can do it...

My question is... why?!

-Skystalker

You will probably need to get an S-Video to RCA plug (I think that's the name) adapter. Then use some sort of TV software to make your computer think you're just watching tv wthrough S-Video in. I'm pretty sure this way won't have sound, however.

Unless the card is VIVO (video in, video out) you will not be able to do this.

The connectors on the back of most cards (SVideo, RCA) are for video out to the TV, not video in from another source.

So, unless you have a VIVO-capable video card, a video capture board (including TV capture) or an "All-in-Wonder" card, you are outa luck.

-Skystalker

How about if your monitor has composite inputs? I've got some monster composites for my ps2 and want to hook it up to the Dell 2001FP.

Originally posted by Skystalker
Unless the card is VIVO (video in, video out) you will not be able to do this.

The connectors on the back of most cards (SVideo, RCA) are for video out to the TV, not video in from another source.

So, unless you have a VIVO-capable video card, a video capture board (including TV capture) or an "All-in-Wonder" card, you are outa luck.

-Skystalker

He said in his post that he had an S-Video in plug. Not sure if you caught that part ;)

Originally posted by Foolio882
He said in his post that he had an S-Video in plug. Not sure if you caught that part ;)

not sure if you caught that part. nearly every modern gfx card will have an s-vid connector, but its video out ONLY unless its VIVO, in which case itll be a propritary connector with a huge dongle with all the ports on it.

Originally posted by kronchev
not sure if you caught that part. nearly every modern gfx card will have an s-vid connector, but its video out ONLY unless its VIVO, in which case itll be a propritary connector with a huge dongle with all the ports on it.

Wait, so you're saying that my AIW 9700 Pro's big Purple thing that plugs into S-Vid In is the only way I can use my XBox on my computer? Getting an XBox wiring package that used S-Video wouldn't work?

Originally posted by Foolio882
Wait, so you're saying that my AIW 9700 Pro's big Purple thing that plugs into S-Vid In is the only way I can use my XBox on my computer? Getting an XBox wiring package that used S-Video wouldn't work?

thats what im saying, thats EXACTLY what you need. xbox->svid cable->big purple thing's svid in->card

thats what im saying, thats EXACTLY what you need. xbox->svid cable->big purple thing's svid in->card
Interesting, I always thought that was just a converter... Guess you learn something new every day :)

^^^ what he said.

Very few cards are VIVO, and if yours was, you would have the extra hardware, as was pointed out above.

When in doubt, go grab your manual.

:)

-Skystalker

Back