Hooking up sub to speakers

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX system. I was just wondering how I would go about hooking up another separate powered sub to this system...

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

Bugalaman said:
there is no easy way to.

What are you talking about, this can be done easily. Consult your promedia manual, it says there

I have soundstorm audio.

I don't have the manual, I'll download it.

thanks guys

Does the powered sub have a lowpass filter built in? If so, you can just put a splitter on your audio out and hook up both your speakers and the sub to it. That sounds pretty fucking easy to me. If it doesn't have a lowpass filter then you can still do the splitter method, but you will need to put a lowpass filter before your subwoofer.

the only ports on the sub are two red clips and two black clips (wire terminals) for the two satellites, and the preamp input (looks like a ps2 port or something like that).

How would I go about spliting this?

thanks

What kind of subwoofer is it? Most powered subwoofers will just have some sort of line input and a power connection.

or I will make my own... (buy an amp, buy the sub, buy a box and hook it all up.)

how would I hook the amp up to my Klipsch sound system?

Thanks

Don't hook it up to your speaker system. It probably wasn't designed to support an additional subwoofer so you would have to do a lot of work to get it hooked up. Just do like I said earlier and run a splitter off your sound card. If you are looking to build your own subwoofer then check out partsexpress.com. They have some excellent plate amps and everything else you'll need. Though I don't really see the point in building a nice subwoofer if you are just going to be using it with some computer speakers.

Well I want great Bass! :p

I love it for games.

Anyways, I wouldn't really call these Klipsch "just computer speakers". These things ROCK!

Thanks for the help man!

One other question though, how would I power a car amp from my wall outlets?

Thanks

To power the amp, thier is 3 terminals on the amp related to power, ground, +12V DC, and 'Remote'. To turn the amp on 12V needs to be applied to the Remote terminal. (concider this the on/off switch, coz it is!)

The easiest/cheapest way to run your amp is to use computer power supplys, they are cheap and can put out a decent amount of current. (if you can get your hands on AT powersupplys, it would be better.)

You need to be able to supply more current then the amp will need, so your not overworking the powersupplys (they are not tough). So look at the fuse/fuses of your amp. On the computer powersupplys you should see a sticker saying their MAX 12v output. You need enouth powersupplys so that you have about 5A more then the fuse on your amp.

to connect the powersupplys just join all the yellow wires, from all the powersupplys. This will be very messy you should get a power block connector to join them all. Run a single power cable from all the 12v wires to the 12v terminal (as you would do from the car battery).

Next is the ground cable. You need to do the same as for the 12v wires, but you dont need all the black wires, just enouth so the thickness of yellow wires is the same as the thickness of black wires. (use more rather then less).
Join a single cable in and run it to the Ground terminal.

I found that on ecoustics.com... that sounds a little complicated! Is there an easier way?

Complicated? What the hell? You just get a power supply and wire the grounds together and the +12VDC together. That's not very complicated. It doesn't make much sense to use a car amplifier rather than a regular subwoofer amplifier, though. Generally you want to use only car equipment in cars and use car equipment only in cars.

bobsaget said:
... that sounds a little complicated! Is there an easier way?

A little simpler would be to use a test bench DC power supply Like This one from Radio Shack.

This one (25 Amp) should theoretically be able to run a 250W amp by itself safely...which should be enough for a computer system, and it's not a whole lot more expensive than the computer PS's to do the equivalent job.

Fuck for $100 you can get a real subwoofer amplifier at partsexpress. If you are going to spend that much money then do it right; don't jack around with car audio stuff.

Back