hooking up MB to new case.

Elleric

Weaksauce
Hi, I'm having a little trouble hooking up my new case. This is all probably going to sound very newbie-ish but here goes my questions:

When im hooking up the power switch wires to the motherboard, does it matter which wire i connect to the + post or the - post? problem comes in because this case doesnt indicate the +/- on the wires like my old one did. (see the next bit)

I realize it matters for the LEDs but the wires from my case dont mark one as + and one as -, there is an arrow that points to one wire on the plastic connector, is that to tell the +/-?

finally, my Power LED wire running from my case has a plastic piece that is 3 spaces wide. so it has a wire on the left and on the right but there is an empty slot in the center, according to my motherboard's manual the power LED's pins are next to the power switch connectors but the two pins do not have a space inbetween them. should there be another place on my motherboard for this type of connection?

thanks for any help

Which case do you have?
Which motherboard do you have?

The common color among all the connections is ground/negative. The other colored wire is positive. Polarity won't matter for the power/reset switches, but it will for the speaker and LEDs. If your case power LED is 3-pins, but the board needs a 2-pin connector, is there room for a 3-pin connector anyways? If so, you can move whichever wire to the middle pin of the housing. If not, you need to find a 2-pin housing, preferably from an old case. You can use a regular needle/pin to remove the wire/connector pin from the plastic housing:

header_pin_removal.jpg

new case is antec 182
the motherboard is ECS C19-A SLI v1.0

the 3 pin connection on the case does have an empty center slot so i think i can switch the wire there, ill try.

new case is antec 182
the motherboard is ECS C19-A SLI v1.0

the 3 pin connection on the case does have an empty center slot so i think i can switch the wire there, ill try.

Right, but make sure where you plug in the header that theres room for that empty slot to the side... na'mean??

Back