Hooking up Cable modem to switch for multiple PCs?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. I'm troubleshooting for my girlfriend who can't seem to get online. She has a cable modem that doesn't appear to be the router type. That modem is connected to a 4 port switch. There is one PC also connected to that switch, that can get online fine. When she connects hers, it doesn't give her an IP. I assume this is because the cable modem passed along that single IP and gave it to the first computer and now is "out", because there's no router to do network address translation.

What is the best way around this? I've heard that the other PC that has internet can set up internet connection sharing? I've never had to do this before, as I've always had a router available to make things easier. Thanks.

You need to pick up a SOHO router. There really isn't a reason not to have one. You can pick up wired router on newegg for very cheap.

You need a router to provide a DHCP/NAT solution. Any decent router on NewEgg, or hell go to Walmart and find one. Unfortunately only one PC on the network will work because it's pulling the only IP address available to you from your ISP. A switch can't act as a method of connection distribution for your internet for it only works as a means to extend a network.

Not to mention even if you do get ICS working, you don't have any type of firewall at all. Thats a big no-no. Like Kaiga said, just go to walmart and pick up a cheap wired netgear/dlink/linksys router. You didn't say anything about needing WiFi so you won't need to spend any more for a wireless model.

I'm sure as hell he'll have a harder time setting up ICS (not to mention installing a second nic in a tower is more of a schlep than hooking up a router) than he would simply throwing a router onto his cable modem. When ICS is used on a simple desktop top, connection speeds will be at a slow crawl because a simple Windows box isn't going to process network traffic as effeciently as a router will.
I'd only use ICS in a domain enviroment with a powerful box (but even then why use it when server 200X has its own routing services.)

if you want to do internet connection sharing you must have 2 nic cards on one computer and use a cross over cable to complete the connection.]

You don't need crossover cables anymore...any PCs purchased in the past several years will have onboard gigabit NICs. Gigabit NICs have auto MDI-X..so if you connect 2x computers directly..and at least 1 of those 2 NICs is a gigabit NIC..it will still work with a standard cable. Crossover cables have become extinct, gone the way of the floppy drive.

However, ICS stinks even on a good day. Not to mention no hardware firewall protection. OP should just get a home grade broadband router.

I'm sure as hell he'll have a harder time setting up ICS (not to mention installing a second nic in a tower is more of a schlep than hooking up a router) than he would simply throwing a router onto his cable modem. When ICS is used on a simple desktop top, connection speeds will be at a slow crawl because a simple Windows box isn't going to process network traffic as effeciently as a router will.
I'd only use ICS in a domain enviroment with a powerful box (but even then why use it when server 200X has its own routing services.)

I wouldn't even dare to use ICS on an domain environment. Makes no real sense. The best thing that ICS has is for dial-up sharing. That's practically it.

Thanks guys. If it was up to me, I'd just get a router and all that, but this is troubleshooting halfway across the country. I'm pretty sure her brother's PC doesn't have dual NICs - I'm so used to having 2 on my mobos! She has someone sending them a router, but I was trying to find a solution that won't take up waiting until the middle of next week. Thanks though.

Back