Hooking a laptop HDD up to a Desktop computer

Kyohe

Weaksauce
Allright this really sucks. My M6805 just stopped working, it hangs at the boot screen, with the underscore flashing in the top left corner forever. I was able to get it to boot from the windows CD and tried to fix it from there. But it dies at 50% on check disk everytime. And running fixmbr did nothing. But I have some stuff on this HDD that I really can't just wipe away. So I was hoping I could hook the laptop HDD up to this desktop and copy it over like I would normally do with a dying IDE HDD. So how would I go about doing this? Am I going to need a controller card to do it? Any help will be extremely appreciated.

The make adapters to plug the laptop drive into a desktop ide channel. Just make sure you pull and adapters off the back of the hd so it will plug in. They also make usb versions. You can pick them up at computer stores. I know compusa has them for like 8 bucks for the internal and 20 for the external usb but I'm sure frys or any other big store should have them. If not you can always get them online.

Like swatbat said you have 2 options: 1) buy an ide cable converter for your laptop drive and then hook it up to the ide cable of your desktop. 2) buy a USB enclosure for laptop hard drives and put your hard drive in it and hook it up to your desktop's USB ports.

I do this all the time. Best bet is to hook it up to the IDE cable of your CDROM, l think
aptop hard drive jumper settings are sometimes hard to find if you can find them at all.
Just be careful with the laptops hard drive pins so that they don't bend or snap :(.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try to get a USB enclosure and hook it up to another computer. I'm hoping maybe a virus scan may help it. Fact of the matter is that I live in Japan, so getting the part will be my first problem.

Back