hook up soundbar through hdmi?

Krieger91

[H]ard|Gawd
The way my tv is mounted it will be very hard to plug in an optical cable so I am curious if I can plug in a soundbar through hdmi (my tv has an ARC port) and use it with my ps3? I don't know much about this subject so this may be completely wrong.

Could I have my ps3 in hdmi 1 and the soundbar/sub into another hdmi port and have it work?

I have arc port connected but its being used to let the TV control it and sound comes from a spdif from tv. i forget the reason per se. I think if I want sound too I had to route the HDMI input through the bar which limits which devices get to take advantage of the bar. I was in a rush to get it set up so I never played with it to see if I omly needed the hdmi connection, so not 100% sure. I'd get a switcher but my tv remembers different setting per hdmi port which I like a lot. samsung tv and samsung sound bar.

Yes just double checked, I have the arc port connected and if I switch to HDMI input it just goes silent. If I move it off the ARC/CEC port I could use it in one of the HDMI inputs but then I lose control

Back