Homes Without Cable Will Triple by 2016

Why do people need cable for kids?
I always saw it as the opposite in most cases it is the man of house demanding sports that is the person who does not allow people to remove cable. And this is really what I think is the last strong hold for cable.

There is a ton of content online through netflix, youtube and so on that can fill a kids day and alot less reruns. And this applies to kids of almost any age.

The only time I watch Cable TV in my house is when I have company. Other than that I barely turn the TV on unless I'm watching a blu-ray or checking the weather. TV content is overrated. I'm on my PC more than anything. Sad thing is I have two great HDTVs and I barely use em. As long as Cablevision doesn't cap my internet I'll be fine for awhile. If not for entertaining company and the discount I receive on my bill I would not have Cable TV.

Why do people need cable for kids?
I always saw it as the opposite in most cases it is the man of house demanding sports that is the person who does not allow people to remove cable. And this is really what I think is the last strong hold for cable.

There is a ton of content online through netflix, youtube and so on that can fill a kids day and alot less reruns. And this applies to kids of almost any age.

No shit. When I was a kid we had cable but sure as shit wernt allowed to watch it unless my dad was being nice after HW and chores. We also HAD to be out of the house on Saturday so no vegitating there, Guess kids make rules in some houses.

Its too bad cable companies are often the best option for internet as well though. Comcast will charge you an extra ~$8-10 for internet if you don't have cable tv and basic cable is ~$10, so you almost have to get it.

No ------^

The basic TV you get anyways.... and you can get the net-only for $19.99 if you constantly call every 6 months and tell them you're going to switch. $24 total, after taxes, per month for many people if you do your research and haggle them to their low (actual) prices.

Had it before, but I agree.... Comcast definitely has a monopoly in many ISP markets in the USA.

Hopefully the decline will make the Networks slow down on pricing increases to the Cable Companies and make the Cable Service more affordable. I doubt it though.

While I've been able to afford it I just have lived without Cable or any other type of TV Service since 2005. It's not worth the price for me. The amount of money saved for the little time I'm able to watch TV in a month has saved me thousands.

If I just absolutely must watch a Sports event that I can't get over the air, I'll go to a sports bar and watch it there.

Ya the sad thing is that comcast has a government sanctioned monopoly. In my area it is the only high speed option unless you want bad DSL.

HTPC + sabnzbd + sickbeard + the 70 cable channels I get for free through QAM do me fine. Will never pay for cable.

I'm in the same boat with 3 kids...There's no way around it for now. Comcast is the only provider in my area so Dish is my only option. I'll suck it up for a while. Hopefully with the drop in business over the next few years the offers get better.

With 3 kids (7, 11, 14) we've been cable free for about 18 months now. Netflix on their Wii has been more than sufficient for their TV watching, and they feel it's better than cable since they can pick what they want to watch when they want to watch without commercials. OTA covers my sports along with apps/streaming radio so there really is no reason to keep cable. Until the broadcasters and providers realize their product isn't worth the price they charge any longer, they will continually lose sales.

Back