Home wiring question

mears

Weaksauce
I'm going to update the wiring in my bedrooms and my family room, and would like to make things as future proof as possible.

I will have an A/V & networking closet set up that will feed all of the rooms. What I'm thinking about is wiring each room with 4 drops of Category 6, 2 drops of RG6, and replacing all phone line drops with Category 5 (have a bunch sitting idle).

Initially only 2 of the 4 Cat 6 drops would be for networking, and the other two would be left open for HDMI (using adapters). One of the RG6 drops in each room would be used for digital audio and the other would be left open (cable internet and satellite connections would be made in the A/V closet).

So my questions are, do I have everything sufficiently covered to future proof this. Also, I'm wavering on whether I should run RG6 or RG59 and am trying to decide between the following two CAT 6 cables:
Newegg
Monoprice

The monoprice cable is cheaper, is a thicker gauge, but only operates up to 500 MHz, which still satisfies CAT 6a. The newegg cable operates up to 550MHz, which exceeds Cat 6a.

Last edited:
Neither of your links work. But if the price is significantly different, I'd go with Monoprice. Always good stuff.

I can't imagine the need for anymore than CAT6 at present.

For the love of god DO NOT USE RG59...if you are trying to use any kind of current cable TV services...put in RG6.

Just need Cat5e. Cat6 will cost a good amount more in the end - Cat6 inserts v Cat5 inserts, etc.

Cat5e is still 1GB

Neither of your links work. But if the price is significantly different, I'd go with Monoprice. Always good stuff.

I can't imagine the need for anymore than CAT6 at present.

I updated the links, which were getting truncated.

Back