Home wireless router

wtburnette

2[H]4U
I need a good wireless router for my home as my current D-Link Dir-825 just died. It has been a great router that I've been very happy with for the last 8 years or so. Just now I lost my wireless and a couple of restarts has not fixed the issue, so my assumption is that it has died. I've seen a lot of newer routers that are supposed to be fantastic, but all seem very expensive. Is there a reason to spend a lot of money, or are there good ones that can be picked up for a reasonable amount? Doing this on my phone and I'm an old guy, so can't research much on the little screen easily. Thanks up front for the assistance.

I need a good wireless router for my home as my current D-Link Dir-825 just died. It has been a great router that I've been very happy with for the last 8 years or so. Just now I lost my wireless and a couple of restarts has not fixed the issue, so my assumption is that it has died. I've seen a lot of newer routers that are supposed to be fantastic, but all seem very expensive. Is there a reason to spend a lot of money, or are there good ones that can be picked up for a reasonable amount? Doing this on my phone and I'm an old guy, so can't research much on the little screen easily. Thanks up front for the assistance.

I've been happy with the Netgear R8000, but it may be overkill for your needs. The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is also a good wireless router and has recently gone down in price.

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up getting the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 router, so not too badly ranked per that guide...

I have the Asus RT-87U I believe is the model. Its the best router I have owned out of all the Netgear/D-Link/Linksys ones I have had. Well worth the money, stable, and lots of great features with a strong wifi.

Thanks. I ended up getting the TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 router, so not too badly ranked per that guide...

If you need something to extend your wireless signal, I recommend the Netgear EX7000. I have a two story house with my wireless router upstairs, and I sometimes have some signal strength issues downstairs. I installed it via a cat6 connection and I've been impressed with the results so far.

If you need something to extend your wireless signal, I recommend the Netgear EX7000. I have a two story house with my wireless router upstairs, and I sometimes have some signal strength issues downstairs. I installed it via a cat6 connection and I've been impressed with the results so far.

Nice to know, thanks. I actually had an Amazon shipping fail with the TP-Link and had the order cancelled (same day delivery, but tracking showed it wouldn't arrive until the 20th, WTF). Got my refund and went with a Netgear ac1750, which was supposed to be better than the TP-Link I was looking at. We'll see if Amazon can pull off a same day delivery for this device. I'm actually using a D-Link access point in bridge mode to connect my PS3 downstairs. Seems to be working fine with my current setup (and has for several years). I'll keep the EX7000 in mind if that ever fails though ;)

I purchased my TP-Link Archer C7 based off the website as well. It has served me very well. Good luck!

I use this one: Linksys WRT 1900ACS Dual-band WI-FI router, it's perfect.

Back