Home wired network help!

Wolfdale75

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to build a home wired network using Cat5 cable, first between 2 PCs and then adding a third one.

I bought a 5-port switch to do this job.

OK, so I followed the instructions in this article:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4966537_set-up-wired-home-network.html

My 2 PCs both say their Ethernet adapters are connected at 100Mbps but neither can see each other in My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers. They can't even see themselves on the network.

I configured one machine as 192.168.1.1 and the other one as 192.168.1.2.

One of the computers comes up with an error message when I try to view the local network, saying I may lack local acccess privileges to the network. The other just comes up with a blank screen.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 or SP3 on both.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! So far I'm finding networks are not such a snap to set up as many of these online articles would have you believe.

are they both in the same workgroup.
also do you have any active shares on any of them

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, they're both in the Mshome workgroup and they both have shares.

The connection works as a direct crossover cable between the 2 PCs. It just doesn't work when passing through the switch.

Turning off ZoneAlarm on both PCs got rid of the annoying access privileges error message, but still neither PC can see each other in "View Workgroup Computers". They can't even see themselves.

Help.

Got it working :)

Key thing was to disable ZoneAlarm and *then* reinstall the network on both machines. Nowhere did I read that a third-party firewall might stop your network from working...

Another thing that article doesn't tell you: you need to manually configure your local IP addresses. The article would have you believe Windows will take care of this for you automatically. But switch over to DHCP and it instantly turns off your connection.

Next thing to try: 3 PCs networked.

Then:

One PC does ICS for the other 2. I'm worried about that one because I'm wondering if the firewall I need for the Internet service will stop the local connection from working again...anyone know?

Thanks for your time, Guys. Watch this space for the next enthralling installment :)

Another thing that article doesn't tell you: you need to manually configure your local IP addresses. The article would have you believe Windows will take care of this for you automatically. But switch over to DHCP and it instantly turns off your connection.
this would all be infinately easier if you had a router (even if you dont connect it to the internet) that has a DHCP server on it to hand out IP addresses automatically. this is the reason you have to manually assign them. the "DHCP" settings on the network adapters just tell that computer what server to look for an address from, it doesnt actually hand out addresses on its own.

Back