Home use server/workstation, is it safe?

justin82

Limp Gawd
Hello, as the title says would it be safe to run a graphical desktop on a system Im using as a home webserver/(whatever other kinda server) ?

Im using safe in the "home usage" sense no "corporate secrets" safe. I just want to make sure running an X server wont leave some giant hole on the system. (altho there will be several firewalls inplace)

Reason I ask is, I will be on the lookout for a dual 900mhz or above system to upgrade my lowly compaq deskpro (that starts breathin hard if I have vim open with a file larger than a few thousand lines). If the price is right that is :p

thanks in advance

I am kind of fuzzy with your question..Are you asking if you should not be using a server in daily desktop/workstation tasks?

Usually a good rule of thumb is to isolate that baby and never use the internet if you dont have to.

At home I give my dad my file server. Partly because I ran out of machines and because all he does is work email. I have it clamped down pretty harshly/secure though.

Well, the deskpro is dying. The question is: 90% of the time It will run server only stuff. But the other 10% of the time it would be nice to use it with some development. Would it be that harmfule to have a graphical desktop installed?

justin82 said:
Well, the deskpro is dying. The question is: 90% of the time It will run server only stuff. But the other 10% of the time it would be nice to use it with some development. Would it be that harmfule to have a graphical desktop installed?
If a bit of server downtime every day or three is no big deal, then go ahead and use the machine for both purposes.

If availability is not a concern, then go for it.

cool thx

EDIT: now that i think about it, i can just switch run levels between the server processes and full workstation right?

justin82 said:
Im using safe in the "home usage" sense no "corporate secrets" safe. I just want to make sure running an X server wont leave some giant hole on the system. (altho there will be several firewalls inplace)

Introducing more running software to the system will introduce more security holes. Or more accurately it will introduce more avenues for attacks on the system.

if you are not hosting your website, and just using the webserver for lan use, then i would say block the server from the internet altogether (both directions). that would keep you from having to worry about it

You really dont need to change the runlevels, just start X when you want to, and stop X when yer done. If you are really worried with security, just isolate the box from the interweb altogether. If you want that webserver running publicly, you need to lock it down and/or firewall it for best results.

Back