Home Theatre/Workstation?

So I've been working on building a system that doubles both as a workstation and as a home theatre. Basically one system runs a monitor and a TV completely separately with the ability for the workstation to run things on the TV. So far I'm using Kubuntu as a base running two completely separate screens (with nothing linking them). Then theres an alias to run files on the 2nd display. I also setup the xhost so that people can log in over ssh and play movies on the TV display without having to be logged in as the current user.

As fun as this is, it still lacks the ability to have one user run the TV while any user could log in on the other screen and also lacks the ability to separate the keyboard/mouse between screens. Has anybody built a single system to run multiple tasks in this fashion before? The only way I can seem to get around this is have an infrared remote that controls mplayer/xmms directly and not as a general purpose guest screen or have multiple xservers running, which brings in all sorts of troubles with terminals.

Back