home theater envy

Dome

2[H]4U
alright so i'm looking to enter into the home theater realm...but money (as always) is the issue. normally it wouldn't be but i'm about to drop 800 on a new computer, so....

anyhow i'm looking at the yamaha 375 reciever and i'll probably hook it digitally from my nf7-s...

here's my question tho: i have enough to cover the reciever and maybe 200 more after that, which probably isn't enough for a sub and speakers, i'm just wondering if there is a way to hook up computer satellite speakers to a computer and how well that would work out (z-560)

if i can't, then i'll probably just save up and see how it all works out, i don't want to buy a nice computer and nice receiver and then have it sound disgusting cuz i can't afford speakers/sub...

Yes, I have hooked up the Z-560 satellites to a receiver before and they work fine (just don't pump the power to them very high, or it'll bust real easy).

For $200, you can go to bestbuy and easily grab some bookshelf speakers for that price, and in the future grab a sub, then the surrounding speakers.

My local Circuit City had a 12" 170watt Velodyne subwoofer for a mere $199, grabbed it, and it sounds awesome for the price.

so first get reciever, then buy speakers? i won't have a sub will i? i don't think the z-560 sub hooks up to a reciever...

Well you said (quoting):

i have enough to cover the reciever and maybe 200 more after that, which probably isn't enough for a sub and speakers

I take it you haven't heard a decent pair of bookshelf speakers?

They thump quite a bit to cover a sub for a while, and when you get that extra mula, pop in a sub.

edit:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=53953

I've heard those, definitely not bad, but not the best either. You should try them out if you have a chance.

alright i will definately look at them. here's another problem tho:

my desk is made out of glass and is only rated for 75 pounds. i already have a 19" sony trinitron monitor and i don't know if it will support 2 book shelf speakers...is it possible/viable to mount them on the wall or off the ceiling?

haha woot...

in this thread badger sly recommended the yamaha receiver for 200 and a few polk audio suggestions. would the first speaker selections probably be better quality than the z-560's? i'm going to check them out tomorrow

anyhow would just the reciever and the 2 bookshelf speakers do pretty well for music ranging from punk rock to trance and techno? i don't need that much bass, but i need enough to sound good ya dig?

anyhow could you give me a few things to look for in speakers and subwoofers? i'm pretty sold on the reciever, but i'm open to suggestions too...thanks a ton

side note: w/ a digital receiver i should be using soundstorm not audigy 1 right?

Any of those speaker selections he pointed out are 500% better than the Z-560 satellites in terms of quality. If all you've heard before are the Z-560 satellites, then good sounding bookshelf speakers would blow you away (albeit it might sound different than what you are used to, but that's what quality sounds like).

And yes, 2 bookshelf speakers would do pretty well, and the good thing about them is that should you decide to upgrade in the future to some floorstand'rs or higher range studio monitors, you can shove those bookshelf's to your back and use them as surround sound speakers.

There are numerous types of speakers and subs you can look into: Paradigm, Infinity, Polk, Sony (eh), Klipsch, KLH, JBL, Yamaha, etc. I'm fond of Klipsch's Reference series (expensive though) and Paradigm's.

Velodyne's subs are awesome to say the least, but I lost a link X86 gave me concerning an Adire Tumult in a box already (15" sub) that costs somewhere in the range of $1300. It looked pretty bad ass. If you have any hook ups with an strictly audio stores, I suggest asking a friend there to audition them in a closed area.

edit: Yes (concerning SS and A1)

would it sound awful to use 2 logi sats as rear channels? or would the difference in sound just be awful?

anyhow thanks for the help, it'll probably be a few weeks to a month till i get the chance to buy HT (should i even decide to) so i have a while before i choose to commit

Well it would definitely mess up the equilibrium of STEREO (some people really need to get used to that, surround sound is overrated). It depends on what you are doing, but music definitely sounds the best in stereo when you are in your sweet spot.

But if you really needed surround sound, it's not a bad idea.

alright just got back from circuit city, listened to polk, infinity bookshelf speakers and mtx 12" dj speakers...the mtx are really big, and they're not as clear, but they have the most bass w/out a sub...

the infinity speakers were the most clear, but had much less bass. so what would you guys do in my position? i won't have the money to buy a sub for probably at least 6 months, i'll probably have to wait til my birthday which isn't til the summer

i like the infinities, but they just don't sound right w/ the bass, what do you think i should do?

You can add more bass later when you have the funds, so I say go with what sounds to have the best clarity for now.

If you can be patient and add parts to your HT over time, you'll end up with a much better overall system, and, each time you add a piece it'll be all that much more impressive, like a new Xmas present.

Get a decent receiver to start, then build it up from there.

Back