Home theater cable suggestions

mssmith79

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I'm in the middle of a major overhaul on my home theater. I'm running a JVC 65" HDTV, Sony ES receiver, HTPC, couple vcr's and a Sony DVD player. Question is I need decent quality cables, nothing totally elite, but the perfect mixture between value and quality. Monster, AR, etc?? Also what's the best online store? Thanks in advance.

I think you'll get help if the mods/admins move this to the right forum for you.

Personally, being a custom home theater installer, you'll see NO difference what-so-ever in quality of video/audio when it comes to cable selection. Don't let some audio/videophiles steer you wrong......you will NOT see/hear any difference in quality between the cheapo Radio Shack composite RCAs vs. some super-$$$ Monster Cable composites. To them, it's more "piece of mind" than anything else.

royjr said:
I think you'll get help if the mods/admins move this to the right forum for you.
I think this is probably the closest forum for what he's asking...

I like Dayton Audio cables from Parts Express. They're solidly built, look nice, and they're not too expensive. (I don't really subscribe to the differences in audio cables).

Yeah, really all you're getting with different cables is strength and resistance to breakage, which isn't an issue if the cables aren't being moved around a lot, and nothing says that the more expensive cable is going to last longer. Sometimes shielding can be an issue in super cheap cables, but good modestly priced cables should do more than fine and no worse than the "expensive" cables. I wouldn't pick up "ultra cheaps" at the dollar store, but I definately wouldn't pay for any name.

I completely agree with what Mat says. Unfortunately, I can't tell you HOW many costomers have BEGGED for the "the best money can buy" *snickers* Too bad they get an additional $800+ on their original install bid, thanks to a custom length low-impedance DVI-D cable for their projector. :D

I'm appreciating your comments guys. I definately wasn't going to go out and spend a fortune but I want something of decent quality but especially good shielding, as I've had several problems in the past with that, and long lasting. Right now I'm probably looking at knukonceptz for the component cables and either Acoustic Research (if accessories4less will ship to me) or Dayton for everything else.

agentzero9 >> I'm not talking about an HTPC although that is one component, thanks though.

I know you are not talking about an HTPC, but the question was posed as to what's a more suitable forum for this topic. One dedicated to Phtography/Video Cameras, or one dedicated to Home Theater and computers. I was really responding to Sterodude though as it makes no difference to me where it thread is.

But actually the name of this section is Photography & Video, nothing about cameras or specification of type of video, and the other one is HTPC Systems, not Home Theater and Computers. While you may look at the real titles and think something else, so may another person think something entirely different. Fact is there isn't a Home Theater forum now, and the title of this forum was vague enough to qualify.

Right a HTPC is a Home Theater Personal Computer not Home Theater and Personal Computer. I have a HTPC (which has nothing to do with this thread) and I am ungrading my home theater.

Well, it looks like I am going to be purchasing Dayton cables from partsexpress because accessories4less refuses to ship to service members. Oh well, their loss. Thanks for your help everyone.

Lets get rid of the semantics. Do you honestly thing this forums better suits your question than the HTPC forum. Let's be realistc here. :) There is no argument.

Well, yes, I'm not talking about a HTPC so how would this thread be more suited to be in a forum about HTPC's than in a forum generically labeled Video?

Back