Home server

brooks

n00b
Im in the process of building a home server and need some advice on how to use it. Im think of using Windows home server as my OS (Objections)? My wife has Apple products and I have PC products and I want to be able to backup both and stream to both as well as steam to my TV.

What is the best way to stream to my tv. Boxee?

Has anyone tried to backup a Mac (time machine) on WHS?

Has anyone tried connecting there ipad to WHS. For example you could have your itunes library on WHS and save space on the ipad.

What is the best way to stream to my tv. Boxee?
I guess that's a personal preference. I use both Windows Media Center and XBMC. I've never experimented with Boxee.

Has anyone tried connecting there ipad to WHS. For example you could have your itunes library on WHS and save space on the ipad.
I don't have an iPad, but you can install iTunes on your WHS and have it running all the time. I don't know why it wouldn't stream to the iPad.

Last edited:
yeah itunes will install, you can also install itunes server (open source) but it gets updated less.

airplay doesnt work with non-OSX or iOS products ATM.

time machine is not officially supported but the WHS 2011 client and shared folders work great on OSX

I recommend installing Splashtop for remote desktop on the iPad and then you can control everything you want on your WHS from the iPad.

just know that WHS 2011 (RTM isnt released yet) does not have drive pool as a feature anymore

With the release of iOS 4.3 yesterday it should make streaming music from your server to the ipad very easy using itunes and the "Home Sharing" option.

Back