Home router recommendation. Gaming, torrents, etc

Tych-0

Gawd
So my current router is having some issues and I'm looking to replace it with something decent that should last a while.

Typically we have 2 always on high end gaming desktops, an xbox 360, and a ps3 wired in, and one general use laptop connected wirelessly. At any given time time there could also be a tablet or two, and 3 phones connected.

Primarily usage is gaming, media streaming, torrents, and your typical web browsing. We share files between computers as well, and I'm entertaining the idea of a NAS, but that doesn't need to be a huge consideration at this point, but the option wouldn't be bad to have.

So, wituout being wasteful, or cheap, could you with the knowledge please give me a few good options?

Thanks!

What's your current router and what issues are you having with it?

Newer Wireless AC routers are the fastest right now, they are getting dirt cheap even cheaper then Wireless N routers.

I would recommend keep an eye @ Gadgetar for good price.

Last edited:
I know not everyone likes NE, but Netgear WNDR3800:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...070213-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33122434-L0F

(With promo code EMCXNXV44 and MIR) currently $69.99.

Good router for the price, with option for installing Open Source firmware on it.

I have a similar setup to you, and use this model with no problems. I'm still using the Netgear firmware, haven't had a need to switch. And I have used the 5GHz band with good results.

I have nearly the same setup as well, except with all the devices I am up to 18 devices on my DHCP client table. I am looking to replace (get rid of) my current DGL4500. I have been looking at that Asus ac66 router that goes for like $200. I'm just waiting for a good sale to try one out.

I have nearly the same setup as well, except with all the devices I am up to 18 devices on my DHCP client table. I am looking to replace (get rid of) my current DGL4500. I have been looking at that Asus ac66 router that goes for like $200. I'm just waiting for a good sale to try one out.

Second this, I've been looking at the Asus AC66 as an upgrade for my Dlink DIR-655. I would love to see a sale on it and then load some custom firmware :D.

I know not everyone likes NE, but Netgear WNDR3800:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...070213-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33122434-L0F

(With promo code EMCXNXV44 and MIR) currently $69.99.

Good router for the price, with option for installing Open Source firmware on it.

I have a similar setup to you, and use this model with no problems. I'm still using the Netgear firmware, haven't had a need to switch. And I have used the 5GHz band with good results.
have a wndr3700 at home, good choice just not great on distance, the 3800 sounds like it's upgrade. (enough for a house but not enough when one is say.. mowing the lawn) Recently got a buffalo N600 as a AP only device for now but haven't had a chance to test it's range yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have a DIR-628 that's been almost useless for wireless recently. Good connection for only about 10min after a reboot, a day or two for wired.

Newegg has that AC ASUS router on sale for 139, it's a refurb though...and currently I have no AC capable devices. That and m6 primary concern is good wired performance.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd check Netgate. Their pfsense routers are fantastic! But a nice top-end router from the usual suspects will usually do the trick just fine. I've heard Asus has stepped their game up in recent years.

So close to buying that ASUS AC66, but it's been hammered pretty hard in reviews on newegg.ca, almost a quarter of people giving it only one egg. Chief complaint seems to be connection drops requiring reboots, precisely what I'm looking to avoid. Maybe I'll check out Netgear's offer8ngs.

So after much deliberation I decided I'd go with the Netgear R6250. It seemed to have the options I consider useful and future friendly (wireless ac, usb 3.0, dlna, and more), and had better reviews than mosy other routers. I ran into an issue though, my plan was to buy it on amazon.com as that was where I found the best price, but they would not ship it to Canada. Looking elsewhere the price was higher and had me reconsidering, until I saw the R6300 on sale at ncix for $169. The reviews were great, and it's basically a faster more power version of the 6250 for cheaper than I could find the 6250 in Canada so I bought it.

Feeling pretty good about my purchase. Picked up 50' of cat6 to go with it for $11 to boot. I'll report back with my experience.

Back