Home Router/Firewall

alexbryant75

Weaksauce
Shopping for a new home router/firewall.
Trying to decide between a Cisco ASA 5505 or a juniper equivalent.
What are everyone's thoughts?

I had one that was a left over from work and took it home to play with. I did like it, but for home use, I thought it was way too much effort. I decided to just do a linux firewall/router to keep it simple. I love my work but I do not want to do it at home lol. But again just my .02

I like the Juniper SSG series over an ASA. Really personal preference / what you can get your hands on readily though. I run an SSG5 on my home network and it's been rock solid for me.

The SSL VPN on the ASAs are awesome. I have yet to run across a VPN system that is as nice and reliable and flexible as the ASAs.

asa not a utm.

Asa do country blocking ? Does it do content filtering ? adware blocking ? Virus blocking ?

He only gave the option of a Juniper or an ASA. And yes, the ASAs can do filtering, but it's pricey and not that great.

He only gave the option of a Juniper or an ASA. And yes, the ASAs can do filtering, but it's pricey and not that great.

oh so your saying the asa's are crap at that feature then ?

id say asa = junk go for a juniper :)

You off the stupid ASA bandwagon now ?

Yes, because Cisco (specifically ASAs) are complete POS and why would anyone ever use them... :rolleyes:

There's a reason almost all provincial and federal government agencies and ministries use ASAs and ISRs.

Yes, because Cisco (specifically ASAs) are complete POS and why would anyone ever use them... :rolleyes:

There's a reason almost all provincial and federal government agencies and ministries use ASAs and ISRs.

BECAUSE IT SAYS CISCO!!!!!! BIG WOOP ! WAY OVER PRICED EQUIPMENT TOO!

Back