Home or Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
So, my Ubuntu install crashed this morning just in time for the Windows 7 release. Conspiracy? I think yes.

SO I'm considering buying Windows 7, but I don't know if I should get Home, Professional, or Ultimate.

Since Ultimate is almost $100 more, I'm wondering what I'm going to miss out on getting professional or home.

Most people are fine with Home:

If you need Remote Desktop Host, or the ability to connect to a Domain, or XP Mode, then you need Pro.

There are alternatives to Remote Desktop host: LogMeIn, VNC, etc.
If all your apps work in Vista, then they will work in 7 and XP mode gets you little to no benefit.
So IMO, you only need Pro if you need to connect to a Domain server.
YMMV

Ultimate is for those who love lining Microsoft's pockets with their money.

You have time to come on this forum and type your messages and wait for replies, but you don't have time to do a simple google or forum search?

Ultimate's a waste of money unless you really need BitLocker to protect your pr0n or the 35 languages. Save your ca$h.

I've been recommending the Pro version to people because of its killer recovery / backup solution. The ability to create a full ISO of your HDD w/o third party apps is awesome.

I've been recommending the Pro version to people because of its killer recovery / backup solution. The ability to create a full ISO of your HDD w/o third party apps is awesome.
Home Premium does this, Home has the full backup application. The only thing it lacks is backing up to a network location.

Home can do the full image of disk, and for the regular incremental backups you can select categories or specific files and folders. I use it for both functions to an external drive. Then I have cobian setup to upload my more critical documents off-site to my Dad's house.

Or use WHS to have a network backup capability with Home Premium.

I suspect that many people will pop into this sub-forum with this question today. Saves us a search. :)

Saves us a search. :)
It doesn't need to be asked in the first place. The answer is the same now as it was when Vista was released. You buy the version that fits your needs and your budget. No one else, reading on an internet forum, is going to be able to do that for you. It's a simple concept, but yet this question is asked over and over and over again. I know my uses, needs, and budget better than anyone...so no one else is going to be able to tell me what versions fits best for me.

Wow, I didn't know this simple question was going to stir up so much flaming.

No, I didn't have time to do a search and read all about each version. I had somewhere to be shortly after I posted, and just got back in a few minutes ago.

Also, I don't know the Vista differences because I never USED Vista. I've been running Ubuntu since XP SP2.

For those of you that answered my question, thank you. I got myself a pretty little copy of Home Premium.

Wow, I didn't know this simple question was going to stir up so much flaming.

that's because most of the bitching from people crying "why didn't you search?" are from those people that get their kicks from saying that commonly used phrase over and over and over and over and over....................

I guess they have to get their post counts up somehow and this is the easiest way of getting that done. :rolleyes:

Has anyone used the virtual-XP interface? I've been using 7 for 10 months and haven't needed it, so what programs, especially games, are needed for it? I've got some legacy stuff, but haven't needed it yet. But perhaps I haven't used them enough?

The XP option is the only thing preventing me from simply getting the Home version. But since I haven't needed it with the Beta or RC, I wonder what Pro offers over Home. It seems much less of a difference than with XP, my previous OS choice, wherein Pro offered immediate advances over home - like recognizing my keyboard on boot in a former comp.

I guess they have to get their post counts up somehow and this is the easiest way of getting that done. :rolleyes:
Far from it, actually. Take a look at my comments above. It's faurly simple and reasonable to see why this shouldn't be asked of others.
No, I didn't have time to do a search and read all about each version. I had somewhere to be shortly after I posted, and just got back in a few minutes ago.
It doesn't matter whether you used Vista or not. What matters, is that it is your system, used by you, to run the applications you use. Not by any of us. So, while you want to act like we're flaming and get all pissed about it...you're missing the point. None of us are qualified to pick out the edition that works best for you. I couldn't make a simple recommendation as to what you should make for dinner tonight, could I? I don't know what you like and dislike. I don't know what you'd feel like eating, nor do I know if you have any food allergies (consider that incompatible programs or needed features not present in all editions.).

It blows my mind that any OP, in any of these threads gets pissed off, because it is a very simple concept. You know FAR better than any of us what version will work for you. All you need to do is spend a minute or so comparing the editions (nice little chart right on Microsoft's Windows 7 page), and you'll have your answer. It would have taken less time then creating this thread in the first place. You took this as us being asses, instead of looking at the whole issue. All in all, that's not the case, at least for me. I just feel that no one else is qualified to make this decision but you.

Far from it, actually. Take a look at my comments above. It's faurly simple and reasonable to see why this shouldn't be asked of others.

It doesn't matter whether you used Vista or not. What matters, is that it is your system, used by you, to run the applications you use. Not by any of us. So, while you want to act like we're flaming and get all pissed about it...you're missing the point. None of us are qualified to pick out the edition that works best for you. I couldn't make a simple recommendation as to what you should make for dinner tonight, could I? I don't know what you like and dislike. I don't know what you'd feel like eating, nor do I know if you have any food allergies (consider that incompatible programs or needed features not present in all editions.).

It blows my mind that any OP, in any of these threads gets pissed off, because it is a very simple concept. You know FAR better than any of us what version will work for you. All you need to do is spend a minute or so comparing the editions (nice little chart right on Microsoft's Windows 7 page), and you'll have your answer. It would have taken less time then creating this thread in the first place. You took this as us being asses, instead of looking at the whole issue. All in all, that's not the case, at least for me. I just feel that no one else is qualified to make this decision but you.

Bullshit. There were plenty of people that responded that actually answered my question. You on the other hand, spent all this time flaming me and telling me what you think I should know. If you didn't have a helpful or accurate response, you didn't need to post in here, spamming my thread, and posting bullshit.

And, I never asked for anyone to pick a version for me. I simply asked what the basic differences were, and asked people's OPINIONS on the issue. Where would you expect me to find OPINIONS on Microsoft's website?

Thank you for your bullshit. Thank you for spamming my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back