Home Networking with 3 Routers: Can't see other computers on network

WaR-ped

2[H]4U
First off, here is a quick MS Paint flowchart of the network I have setup at home:

network.jpg

"Why would you set up your network that way?"

The short answer is because I have 3 routers here. Two are mine, and one is a room mates. Router C is a wireless-B Linksys unit I picked up last week so that my girlfriend's notebook computer(computer 2) could have wifi access throughout the house.

I finally got all the internet connections working and now am trying to figure out if there is a way that all the computers can see each other on the network so that files can be shared. Is this possible? If so, any suggestions how I can do it using the configuration I have?

Thanks,

Adrian

Basic solution is have them all join a workgroup to allow sharing of files and what not. But this results in basically NO security what so ever to each machine. Within workgroup, everyone has access to pretty much any thing on your computer besides putting on passwords on your really sensative stuff, there isn't jack you can do about it.

I still don't honestly see why your using 3 freaking routers. If i saw that at one of our clients workplace, i'd go insane. 1 router and a switch could eliminate all that headache.

On ROUTER A, leave it as is. On the other routers, disable NAT in their config (should be easy to find) and then assign them all to the same workgroup/domain on each PC :D

John

Aye, good idea. Hopefully the routers will allow you to turn off NAT.

Oh, and you can't do domains unless you have an domain server :D

If the routers won't allow you to disable NAT, just use a crossover cable to hook the LAN ports on routers B and C (instead of the WAN ports) to the LAN ports on router A which will basically turn B and C into switches.

Make sure you disable DHCP on routers B and C though to prevent confusion with ip assingment.

another solution that might work would be to only use certain ip's on each router go 1-20 on the first 21-40 on the second, that way they will all be on the same network theoretically, and you won't have issues with dhcp and so forth, i'm looking at a similar situation as yours and am about to try it this way

IceWind said:
SNIP...
I still don't honestly see why your using 3 freaking routers. If i saw that at one of our clients workplace, i'd go insane. 1 router and a switch could eliminate all that headache.

Bingo. Unless there is some reason for this setup to be the way it is other than "I have 3 routers, I might as well use them". Why don't you just cut it down to the router with wireless in it in between everything and the Internet and throw a switch on there if you need more ports. 40$ over at CompUSSR or Worst Buy will get you a 5 port Netgear switch. The whole setup as it is now is going to be a nightmare to maintain when something breaks.

Goofball said:
Bingo. Unless there is some reason for this setup to be the way it is other than "I have 3 routers, I might as well use them". Why don't you just cut it down to the router with wireless in it in between everything and the Internet and throw a switch on there if you need more ports. 40$ over at CompUSSR or Worst Buy will get you a 5 port Netgear switch. The whole setup as it is now is going to be a nightmare to maintain when something breaks.

I rest my case. Follow the words of advice: K *keep* I *it* S *simple* S *supid*

Back