Home networking suggestions

PTRMAN

Limp Gawd
Xfinity service comes into the basement. They installed an amp in front of their modem/router, which helps with TV signal. I've got four direct outs on the modem/router -
  • Sonos (right next to modem/router)
  • Pogoplug (right next to modem/router)
  • Powerline device (runs to HDTV in Family Room)
  • 60' plus Cat 5 run to switch on other side of FR, into which are wired two PCs
Old house (plaster walls, not wallboard) so wifi is weak on ground floor and really bad on second floor.

Would like to add a device to boost wifi signal on first and second floors, primarily for phones and amazon echos, but also for daughters laptop. I've had good results in another house with a Netgear Nighthawk extender, so I could use that on the first floor (directly above the modem/router, so wireless connection should be strong there), or I could add something in the FR at the end of either the Powerline or the Cat 5/Switch.

Anyone here have any other suggestions?

I would definitely just use Powerline Ethernet rather than deal with extenders. Powerline will work better in pretty much most cases.

I just ran a bunch of Ethernet drops around my house; I'd recommend the same if it's an option for you. Go with mesh/multiple WAPs instead of extenders for the sake of your sanity if WiFi signal strength is important for tablets/phones/mobile computing.

If you've got plaster I'd probably go main floor AP/attic AP/basement AP depending on how big your house is and how you use your space.

Plaster and wood lathe or metal lathe? Metal lathe is likely to be pretty much a wifi block. In my house with plaster and wood lathe, get pretty good results with an old Dlink DIR 655. Reused a longer 2.4G antenna salvaged from a dead Linksys. 2.4Ghz usually goes through walls better then 5Ghz.
Try adding additional WAP(s) to the existing wired runs first. Consider getting directional antennas to maximize signal strength inside the house.

Back