Home networking solution?

Mekanic01

Gawd
Ok, for some reason I can't get a Linksys router to last more than a year, so I need a new solution.

My Rig (Takes bandwidth priority) Specs in sig (BTW, has dual ethernet)
Runs WinXP Home
Wife's rig (next in line) Dell P266 used for browsing and email, and a little chat.
Win2k Pro
My other rig (needs to be connected, doesn't need much though) AMD 500
Win2k Pro
Cable modem

As cheap as possible, I need a system where my rig gets the bandwidth it needs for gaming, etc, wife's little mouse box gets online, and my other rig gets online.

What I am wondering, is can I use my second ethernet port to run one of them, and will it drag me down. OR, can I use "my other rig" and add 2 cards. Will the fact that the "other rig" is slower be a factor?

Anyway, gimme your best suggestions, or a suggestion for a good, reliable, cheap router that I can get from BB or Circuit City. I don't really have the time to wait on mail order.

Oh yea, I'm not to fond of D-Links either. For some reason the power supplies don't last very long. We go through them pretty quick at work.

you could always try netgear or go high end and gnab a cisco.

I personally use D links like crazy, ive never had one problem with one, ever.
I am however going to switch to netgear since D link has decided to start using cheap-o plastic cases for everything :mad:

Mekanic01 said:
Hey, what's the difference between a router and a switch?
there's a more elegant explaination out there, but basicaly, switches are nodes that allow computers to talk to each other in a local network. routers allow local networks to share access to the internet. just about all of the soho routers are also switches.

if the "other rig" isn't used that much, perhaps it can be a dedicated smoothwall router. [edit i reread your question, and i can't really say i'm crazy about any of the soho routers ]

and the processor speed doesn't mean jack if it's sharing an internet connection. the only bottleneck would be a faulty nic.

Went ahead and decided to try the D-Link DI-604. BB had it for 19.99 after $20 MIR, so I figure I don't have as much to lose.

Back