home networking solution neede

CraigMB

n00b
I just added in some finished rooms in my basement. I ran two new lines down there for the 360 and another computer. The problem I am having is that I have a 4 port wireless modum from my cable company that is already full. I need a solution on how to hook the other 2 lines up. I can't afford to much so I am looking for the cheapest but easiest way to hook it up so that I have 6 lines running.

Just buy a 5 or 8 port switch. Plug one of the ports into the modem and plug the other devices into the switch. A switch will basically just expand the amount of ports you have. It does not matter which port on the switch or the modem you use to connect them.

You need a network switch. You can pick up a cheap 10/100 one for under 25 dollars on amazon, or newegg, or pay a little more at a brick and mortar store.

You would connect this switch to your modem using an ethernet cable and you should be all set. Depending on what you get you might also need a crossover cable, but try just a regular ethernet cable first

Something like a DLink or Netgear would be fine for home use. I'd get a gigabit switch personally, it's more "future-proof."

Back