Home Network

iamwhoiamtoday

Limp Gawd
I had a question for y'all. Would I run into any issues putting my router / switch / AP into an attic?

This is in Oregon, and we have a few weeks a year where it gets hot, and a few months a year where the temp flirts with freezing.

I'm intending on using a standard Surfboard modem, an Edgerouter Lite, a TP-LINK 16-port switch, and a UniFi-AP. (CAT6 for the two planned network drops)

There are tentative plans on putting in an attic fan, set to blow out air whenever temp exceeds N temperature.

I'm considering installing XenServer on an old laptop to administrate everything. (Windows VM + control software + remote desktop)

This would be in my mother's house, hence the desire to have a system she can't play with for administration.

Are there any suggestions / issues that you can see?

you should be fine, as that is one of the best APs, not sure how big the house is, perhaps if your basement is made of concrete and is three floors down, then you might be having reception problems there.

Just make sure they're not buried in isolation. Really the only thing I'd be worried about would be humidity. If you have an extra closet in a guest room that you can have them mounted in an upper right hand corner that might be safer and then find a central location for the AP. If you can hide the cables it might barely noticeable in one of the upper corners of an interior room.

I did most of the work today, tomorrow I'll get the cabling looking halfway sane followed by pictures. I suspended the cables (both coax and Cat6) off the insulation with hooks on the walls. Single story, and almost everything is on the wired network. There is a second switch (8-port) back behind the TV for the multimedia stuff. (Smart TV / Blue Ray player does Netflix / Apple TV / Raspberry Pi)

Luckily, I have a spare guitar amp 4U rack case thingy to be used for the equipment xD

VY7ANJyl.jpg

is what it looks like right now. Still need to organize the cables in the back, but it works. The 1U server on the bottom is currently running Win7 in a VM for administration purposes.

Back