Home network, wired/wireless, Mac/Windows advice

sprale

n00b
My home network has been set up by trial and error. I've just gone with what works for so long now that I'm sure I've blown right by best practices. I think I need to get down to business and clean up my mess, but need to know where to begin.

I have a former-Vista wireless laptop running XP Pro, a desktop running XP Pro, a second desktop running XP Pro/2003 Server, and finally a desktop Mac running OS X 10.4.11. I have a cable modem with a CAT5 out to my Linksys WRT45G. My desktops are connected directly, at lease two active as they are working. The laptop is my SO's, so it usually doesn't get messed with.

I have thought about setting one up as a permanent server, the second XP/2003 PC is a slower Dell that could do fine. I do have two USB printers that I would like to share if possible. I actually have a Mac server at work, but I can't get Windows systems connected to it easily. I would like to have the Mac as my file/print server and am able to manage it fine, but need to have my Windows systems able to connect reliably. My Mac usage will be increasing in the future.

I only have altered the wireless security to add an AES shared key. I am not familiar enough with much of the other settings to really want to just experiment.

I anyone has built a similar system or has any advice, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any recommended books or sites on basic networking that could help me to set up a network that is easily maintained I would appreciate it.

on the windows box, setting up printer sharing with the two printers should be enough.

On the mac, you just enable file sharing, and you have yourself a "file server."

the mac should detect the windows shared printers, and the window boxes should be able to connect to the mac via SMB.

Theres not much else to it.

Back