Home network went "KABOOM" Easy way to reset all sharing/network settings in W7?

compudocs

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story extremelt short. My network was working, router died, put old router back on network with same ssid and password. PC's get online but thats it, can't for my life get them to share files so gonna wipe the slate and start over.

Heres the problem. I do not have the patience to try to hunt down every setting I changed when I setup my home network months ago so is there an easy way to set all netwok, sharing and related settings back to default in W7? If I can do that I can have everything back up and running in 30 mins tops but I'm just too frazzled atm to fix this.

Network & Sharing Center -> Troubleshoot Problems?

It's on the bottom of the page, I have used it before to help get a client back online over the phone.

Tried the file sharing troubleshooter and the home group one and no go.

Ran netsh winsock reset on both PC's and nothing changed.

I went all through the sharing settings on both PC's and all settings are identical. I can tdsskiller, ComboFix and malwarebytes on both PC's and got nothing.

Tried hosting a CoD4 server and no matter what Pc hosts niether can see the server.

Checked the workgroup and it's the same on each PC. Checked the IP on each PC and they are in the same range. One is 192.168.1.65 the other 192.168.1.77 and both have the same dns and gateway info and everything else. Checked network adapter settings on each and thats all good. Removed the drivers on each NIC, reinstalled and that fixed nothing.

I checked the router and both are on the same firewall settings, neither is setup for DMZ which I know can knock a PC out of a network.

Set windows firewall on each PC to default and double checked that network file sharing is checked on each PC for the windows firewall.

Doh, just re-read your post, and I'm betting you may have an encryption error if one or both of them is on wifi. I would go into the list of saved wifi connections on both computers, and delete the connection you are trying to use, after that I would rejoin the network and see if everything is working.

Also, just out of curiosity what IP is being assigned to each machine, is it a 192.whatever address, or a 169.whatever address? If it's a 169 address, your machines aren't pulling dhcp, and won't be able to talk w/o addresses.

K, tried the removing the networks thing but same problem after I reconnected :-/ Also, both PC's are on 192.168.1.xx

If I have to I'll reload both machine though I'd prefer not to but I'd prefer even more not to have this take more than a day to fix :-(

Ok, are both on wireless, if so a feature called wireless isolation may be turned on in your router.

In theory this is supposed to keep clients from talking to each other over wifi, a quick way to check this out would be to plug at least one computer (preferably both) into the back of the router for a wired connection. Some other basic troubleshooting you can do to verify this is to try to ping the computers to make sure they can talk at a basic level before trying to share files.

Also just out of curiousity what AV do you have running on the computers, there is a chance that could be what is causing the issues.

have you tried resetting the router back to factory settings?

Back