Home network trouble - A-Link RoadRunner 44, xbox, computers...

ilkka

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an A-Link RoadRunner 44 ADSL router, a modded xbox, a laptop and two desktops.

The problem is that all of the computers get a dynamic IP from the ISP, which is great for internet stuff, but a pain in the ass for transfering files within the network. The computers don't see each other's SMB shares, and since the IPs change constantly using ftp is a pain in the ass.
Once I check the relevant IPs ftp usually works perfectly fine, but sometimes, apparently depending on whether the IPs of the two machines start with the same numbers, the transfer speed is ridicilously low (20kbs vs. 6mbs normally).

I tried enabling the DHCP server of the router, but it did nothing. When using a static local ip and using the router as a gateway, I can't connect to anything except the router (when pinging outside it complains "Reply from 10.0.0.2: Destination host unreachable").

So I'm basically looking for a way for the intra-network file transfers to go smoothly without breaking the currently nicely working internet connection.

What sort of IPs are the machines getting? It almost sounds like NAT isn't turned on.

Install a second network card in each of the machines. Then get another router. Then just have an Intranet.

Also, make sure that all of your machines are set to the same workgroup if they are M$ based.

Yea, it seems NAT is the problem. The IPs are definately global ones.

Installing additional network cards isn't really feasible with laptops and xboxes...

But yea, I'll try to get the NAT thing turned on as well.

Back