• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Home network issue

no_control

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
1,429
I'm not sure if this should be in networking or OS as I cannot ascertain the problem. Since it's a home network I'll put it in here.

I'm lost. I have Vista ultimate on the main rig, Home premium on the laptop, and XP pro on the wife's. I use the Main rig as a file server. Here's what tried to do to get File sharing on.
I right click the folder and click share...share button is greyed and only advance is active. I share there and the other PC's see it, but cannot go into the shared folders. Public folders work fine. XBOX360 media center finds everything fine.

I don't know WTF changed betweend xp and vista that share a simple file requires a masters in computer science....I'm soooo frustrated right now!!!!

I have the following on Network discovery, File sharing, Public folder sharing, media sharing. Printer and password sharing are off.

I've searched an nothing else is working. Anyone have a simple fix or some knowledge to educate my ass? I need to get this working.
 
Thanks, yeah I already read that though. I doesn't help me. I cannot click on the [share...] button. It's greyed out.
 
The easiest way is to make sure Simple File Sharing is disabled across all PCs. Next, it may be related to the fact that your user account in VIsta might not have privileges to create shares by default. You may have to log in as / run as an admin to do so.
 
All accounts are administrator. Are you sure I want to turn off simple sharing? Isn't that what I want? I want to share a folder on PC A and PC B & C can access it without me having to do anything additional.

What changed between XP and Vista?
 
It's amazing that no one here has any help to offer.

Anyway after 3 days I've figured it out with the help of a another forum.
So for anyone trying to do some simple file sharing here ya go

It really is stupid the MS has this setup. I could understand it being this difficult on server 08 or something but for your avg home user this is f'in dumb. I've been using vista for awhile no fairly problem free. But I was contemplating moving all my machines back to XP if I didn't figure it out by tomorrow.

Thanks all who did help.
 
It's amazing that no one here has any help to offer.
You have to have some patience here. No one is going to want to help someone complaining about response times. Remember, this isn't a support forum of paid representatives.
Are you sure I want to turn off simple sharing? Isn't that what I want?
Yes, anyone with any experience in networking would tell you to disable simple file sharing, and do it "the right way". Have you specifically shared out the entire drive, or are you trying to standard hidden admin share?
 
You have to have some patience here. No one is going to want to help someone complaining about response times. Remember, this isn't a support forum of paid representatives.

Sorry but this had worn my patience thru. I figured it was a simple enough problem that the knowledge base here would be able to answer it fairly quickly. As it turns out, I guess no one here has had this issue. Which would explain the lack of response. That's my fault for thinking it was a common enough issue for a quick answer. ;)

Yes, anyone with any experience in networking would tell you to disable simple file sharing, and do it "the right way". Have you specifically shared out the entire drive, or are you trying to standard hidden admin share?

Yeah I just wanted to make sure before I started monkeying around with things and dug myself further in the hole. I do apprciate the help as I stated above. and I was seriously considering offer up $50 via paypal reward for someone to resolve this issue. Seriously I was that irritated by it.

Anyway hopefully someone finds the link above helpful.:cool:
 
Back
Top