OK, I tried to search for the answer myself. I have read so many threads and online articles that my head is spinning. I guess it would help if I wasn't virtually clueless about networking.
Current setup: Excede Internet ViaSat modem --> Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router --> Hawking Tech 5-port switch (for my tech bench), OOMA telo modem, 1 hard line to HTPC.
All the equipment is in the basement, in my "shop". The hard line goes to 1st floor living room. Everything else in house is wireless.
Network works adequately, although the wireless signal is VERY weak on the 2nd floor.
I want to move the wireless router upstairs. To do this, I wired the ViaSat modem --> switch --> hard line upstairs to the wireless router --> hardline from router to HTPC. The OOMA modem is still in the basement, connected to the switch.
My issue is that the router just WILL NOT connect to the internet through the switch. I tried substituting the switch with an old hub, and still wont work. I tried swapping the Netgear router with a Cisco LinkSys router, still no good.
The closest I have come to finding an answer online is that I would need 2 separate IP's from internet provider? If this is so, I have no idea why, or how to implement, lol.
I think another option would be to ditch the wireless router, keep hub in basement to run bench and OOMA, move the switch upstairs at end of hard line and connect to HTPC and a wireless access. But then I need to buy an access point.
Any advice or suggestions to make this work is appreciated.
Current setup: Excede Internet ViaSat modem --> Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router --> Hawking Tech 5-port switch (for my tech bench), OOMA telo modem, 1 hard line to HTPC.
All the equipment is in the basement, in my "shop". The hard line goes to 1st floor living room. Everything else in house is wireless.
Network works adequately, although the wireless signal is VERY weak on the 2nd floor.
I want to move the wireless router upstairs. To do this, I wired the ViaSat modem --> switch --> hard line upstairs to the wireless router --> hardline from router to HTPC. The OOMA modem is still in the basement, connected to the switch.
My issue is that the router just WILL NOT connect to the internet through the switch. I tried substituting the switch with an old hub, and still wont work. I tried swapping the Netgear router with a Cisco LinkSys router, still no good.
The closest I have come to finding an answer online is that I would need 2 separate IP's from internet provider? If this is so, I have no idea why, or how to implement, lol.
I think another option would be to ditch the wireless router, keep hub in basement to run bench and OOMA, move the switch upstairs at end of hard line and connect to HTPC and a wireless access. But then I need to buy an access point.
Any advice or suggestions to make this work is appreciated.