Home network access problems

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
I have a home network set up on four computers; three desktops and one laptop.

My PC: XP Pro (connected to router via ethernet)
HTPC: XP Pro (connected to router via ethernet)
Wife's PC: XP Home (connected wirelessly)
My Laptop: XP MCE 2005 (connected wirelessly)

I set up the Network using the Network Setup Wizard. All four computers can see each other under My Network Places, but only My PC and My Laptop can access files from the rest of the PCs.

My Wife's PC and the HTPC cannot access other PC files. Whenver they try to they get this error message:

"You might not have permission to use this network resrouce. Contact the administrator of this sever to find out if you have access permission.

"Not enough server storage available to process this command."

I have gone on each computer and enabled sharing on every folder I want on the network. For example, I go under "My Documents" and its "Sharing" tab and check both "Share this folder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files" Yet these two PCs cannot access those folders.

How can I enable the shared folders to be accessed on all four PCs?

for the "not enough server storage space", navigate to this key on both machine and change the setting

Open Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

in the right pane there should be a value that says "IRPStackSize" double click that, then click on the decimal option, and in the value box change it to 15, then reboot. the machine.

after thats done if you are still having issues you can download Rktools from Microsoft, here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

install this app, once its installed open a cmd promp window and type the following
net user guest /active:yes (then press enter)
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (then press enter)
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (then press enter)

Also on the computers that have the files that you can't access. Make sure that there are no firewall's enabled, including the winxp firewall.

Javelin - Thanks for your reply.

Javelin3o4 said:
for the "not enough server storage space", navigate to this key on both machine and change the setting

Open Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

in the right pane there should be a value that says "IRPStackSize" double click that, then click on the decimal option, and in the value box change it to 15, then reboot. the machine.

Neither My PC or my Wife's PC had the IRPStackSize in that location.

[/QUOTE]
install this app, once its installed open a cmd promp window and type the following
net user guest /active:yes (then press enter)
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (then press enter)
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest (then press enter)[/QUOTE]

I ran this on both My and My Wife's PCs and her PC still gets the above error message.

Here's a screenshot of the RKT when I entered the commands on My PC:

ntrightslo5.gif

P.S. Oddly enough, her PC can access the files on my second hard drive (my media drive) but she cannot access anything on my C drive.

underdone said:
Also on the computers that have the files that you can't access. Make sure that there are no firewall's enabled, including the winxp firewall.

I don't think it's a firewall; I've had the same firewall since a year ago and this problem only happened recently.

However, now that you mention it, I did just install BitDefender antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper antispyware.

I did completely exit out of both programs and the other PCs are still unable to access my files.

Do you think either of these two programs could be blocking the other PCs? If so how can I disable them?

if you dont have IRPstacksize, just right click the windows, select new/dword, call it IRPStackSize, click on decimal, then enter value 15

you can also try these 2 reg fixes, just download the zip file, extract the 2 .reg files right click each one select merge then say yes to import it into the registry, do that on both then reboot.

Right Click, Save As,

Network Reg Fix

Javelin3o4 said:
if you dont have IRPstacksize, just right click the windows, select new/dword, call it IRPStackSize, click on decimal, then enter value 15

Thanks for the quick reply!

OK I just did this on My and My Wife's PCs and she still can't access my documents.

What else should I try?

UPDATE: I just right clicked on My Documents and the "Sharing" tab is gone! How can I get it back?

try re-running the network setup wizard...from the control panel. they are both on the same workgroup aswell right?

also try right clicking my docs, hit properties, see if the share tab is there.

Javelin3o4 said:
try re-running the network setup wizard...from the control panel. they are both on the same workgroup aswell right?

Yes, all four PCs are on the same network in the same apartment.

I'll try rerunning the Network Setup Wizard again, starting from My PC.

I'll post the results later. Thanks for the ongoing help.

Javelin3o4 said:
np, also try the 2 regfix's

Javelin3o4 - it works! I raised the regfix from 15 to 18 on my PC and now all my PCs can access everything!

Thanks so much for your help!

Back