Home Netwoking troubles

sinbad

Weaksauce
hi
When recently trying to transfer files i found myself setting up a home network with a laptop that has never been connected to my desktop before.

I am connected to the iunternet via a sattelite which uses on of those blue lan cables. the sattelite connects into a switch which is then plugged into my computer. Thr laptop is then plugged into the switch via a lan cable. The Network Connection is fine so its no trouble with the hardware or setup. I then ran the "Network Setup Wizard" on the Laptop and on the Desktop pc. I turned file and printer sharing on.

After restarting and going into "My Network Places" on The laptop is has an icon for itself and the main desktop. but when i click on the desktop it says
"\\(computer name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions" and then down the bottom "The network path was not found."

And when going into "view Workgroup computers" on the main desktop there is an icon for itself but not for the laptop .

btw i can play games across the two computers.
please help.

Are you sure you are connected to the internet through a switch, it is possible you may be connected through a router. Check your IP, if your ip is something like 192.168.*.* or 10.10.*.*. If its something else your computer is hooked straight into the internet, and for the easiest use of file sharing via home networking, you'll need to pick up a router, and plug the wan port into the "switch" your pc is hooked into, and then plug your pc and laptop into the lan ports on the router. You also may need to enter some settings into the router for you internet connection. I'm not 100% sure since i've never played with a sattelite internet connection before.

it is a switch but there not really that different to routers are they. i dont think that its a trouble with the network physically. the other latop can connect to the net via the desktop.
will try searching manually thanks.
keep the answers coming.

you had tried \\(computername)\(resource) already it sounds like. what about \\(computerIP)\(resource) instead? possible that your DNS is screwy and therefore you are not able to access it by hostname.

also, this depends on what the person above me said, the IP address. To add onto his already good advice, you want to look for the two he said, 192.168.x.x and the 10.x.x.x but also look for a 172.16.x.x --> 172.31.x.x. Routers and switches do have differences but both are "intellegent" networking devices meaning they have the capability to send packets to designated locations on a network instead of like HUB's which i believe just send them to all parts of the network for a computer to pickup (correct me if im wrong). Routers, for the most part, are easier to setup than a switch. For instance, i would have no problem forwarding ports on a router by using its homepage but on switches i'd be lost!

Find the IP address of your laptop and your desktop and relay them here for me and lets go from there

rapperwith1p said:
Try to search for the other computer's name manually.

start > search > search for computers

Did you try this yet? This often works when other methods don't.

Also try browsing to it by IP address in my network places..

From a command prompt (start > run > cmd) try pinging the other pc by it's name.

Kreator said:
you had tried \\(computername)\(resource) already it sounds like. what about \\(computerIP)\(resource) instead? possible that your DNS is screwy and therefore you are not able to access it by hostname.
Isn't that resolution done by NBNS using WINS?

Back