Home movies in MP4 out of sync when playing over plex

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I have been making home movies of my kid and for some reason whenever I play back these 1080p 60fps mp4 files on any device that supports plex(roku, android phones, ipad air2) the audio is horribly out of sync. Play it long enough and the video stops. If its on the Roku, the roku complains the server does not support direct streaming.

This is only an issue with my home made videos, no other content has this problem. I have tried turning off direct stream, playing quality other than original, messing with audio settings, local quality settings. I am out of ideas.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

What are you using as a plex server, hardware wise? Which Roku? Do you have your server set up for direct streaming? What bitrate are the movies? We talking 10+ Mbps 1080?

• Asus Z87-A
    E3-1231 V3
    16gb Crucial Ballistix
    4TB raid 10 on an LSI 9260-8i

Direct Play is On

Direct Stream is On

Allow Direct Play of AC3 audio is on (files are mp4 with AC3 audio)

Latest version of Plex on Windows 8.1

Movies are 6mbps 1080.

Roku 2 (2015 with the faster CPU)

When the files are played within windows using vlc or wmp the audio is perfectly in sync. Play any file in plex the audio is 5 seconds ahead.

This only happens with my home videos that are mp4. However, any MKV(underlying MP4, however probably not AC3 audio) is flawless.

have you tried force transcode on your player?

Try turning off the Allows direct play of AC3 audio and let it transcode it. Your plex server have plenty of power.

i am sure it would fix it but i know direct play is better for many circumstances

do you have any codec packs install?

PMP or PHT or web?

i am sure it would fix it but i know direct play is better for many circumstances

do you have any codec packs install?

PMP or PHT or web?

I have tried with and without direct play, same problem.

I do not have any codec packs installed on the server.

The sync issue does not happen when viewing over the web.

What is PMP, PHT?

Try turning off the Allows direct play of AC3 audio and let it transcode it. Your plex server have plenty of power.

I have tried with it on and off and the results are the same. I have also tried to force direct play and allow/dis-allow direct stream on the roku the result is the same. in both cases the audio is at least 5 second ahead of the video.

The only thing that brings the video and audio in sync is to change the quality in the roku to 4mbps 720p. Then both audio and video are in sync.

Last edited:
I have tried with and without direct play, same problem.

I do not have any codec packs installed on the server.

The sync issue does not happen when viewing over the web.

What is PMP, PHT?

I have tried with it on and off and the results are the same. I have also tried to force direct play and allow/dis-allow direct stream on the roku the result is the same. in both cases the audio is at least 5 second ahead of the video.

The only thing that brings the video and audio in sync is to change the quality in the roku to 4mbps 720p. Then both audio and video are in sync.

There are 3 Plex apps on windows you could be using:
WIndows Universal App
Plex – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

PHT is plex home theater (which is moving or has moved to open source)
Plex: One window into all your personal media

And there is Plex Media Player (Plex Pass only)
Which is a replacement for Plex Home Theater
Plex: One window into all your personal media

Honestly not sure what is off with your videos but Vengance's idea would likely solve it.

Reended the videos with handbreak.... maybe try 1 and see?

otherwise if you are a plex pass person use their paid support? Possibly a bug in their play back.

Can you share with me a sample of the video and I will try it on my setups and see how it does?

Honestly not sure what is off with your videos but Vengance's idea would likely solve it.

Reended the videos with handbreak.... maybe try 1 and see?

otherwise if you are a plex pass person use their paid support? Possibly a bug in their play back.

Can you share with me a sample of the video and I will try it on my setups and see how it does?

The thing is there are a lot of videos and it would take a lot of work(scripting it OR queuing them all up might be possible, need to check). I also worry how re-encoding them would affect the quality.

If you can test a sample on your setup that would be awesome. Let me make a sample and ill PM you a link to it from my drop box.

Back