Home made blocks

File

Gawd
Ive noticed people around the forums having their own homade water blocks, primarily copper. I was wondering if there are any tutorials on making your own, or tips.. an FAQ...

Basically I'm looking to steal most of the components for my setup, things like copper stock etc, but only if i could actually make the blocks myself ;-)

Im a fair worker with my hands, and am familiar with tools so thats not a problem. Otherwise, just looking for those who have done it already to help me out.

Main points being mounting, attaching barbs, and having efficient flow INSIDE the block.

I also recommend you do not discuss illegal activities here in the forums.

That being said, it is fairly easy to make a block as long as you have access to equipment and are somewhat handy.

what you need is a milling machine. They come in all flavors, from $300 (approx) standard 3-axis systems up to 6-axis CNC beasts for 100000+. What you need would be in the $4-500 range for manual drive, or $1000 or so for CNC.

CNC is better, as its much easier to machine curves.

What zero said is true, once you've got the equipment, it's fairly easy.

Actually, there are quite a few types of water blocks that do not require a milling machine to construct. The 'copper cap' requires nothing more than a hacksaw, cordless drill and a torch, while the 'cross drill' type requires you borrow a friends drill press, and a tap. There are plenty more simple style blocks like that on the procooling forums. You can use a dremel yourself some channels into a block of copper and make a whitewater clone, but your going to run through ALOT of fiberglass reenforced cutting discs as copper is tough stuff. Just remember to do your research, think ahead and plan out everything out as having to stop midway is aggrevating. :)

Little Grabbi said:
What you need would be in the $4-500 range for manual drive, or $1000 or so for CNC..
Where can you buy that at that price I'll get one today!

Overclockers.com also has a ton of links about older homemade blocks, ghettocomp on the ocforums also made a really simple, good performing block here

Im guessing that you want to make your own block to see if you can do it yourself, just remeber that unless you already have the parts, the price for making you own block can get high really quickly.

In general, youll need some copper bar, if you want a specific size, onlinemetals.com is a good source. Youll also need something to hold your block to the cpu, using the holes on your mobo (it does have holes for screws around the cocket, right?), and youll have to use something non conductive, such as nylon thumbscrews/nuts/washers, and springs to keep things tight. Im making my own block right now, and am following the Maze 3 instructions.

There are tons of designs right now that perform very well, you could probably make a Whitewater clone pretty easily, and if you make your own design, just follow the Whitewater principles, in that more flow = more cooling, only main contact right above the cpu is important, and that accelerated flow over the cpu with a greater contact area = more cooling once again.

autobot said:
You can use a dremel yourself some channels into a block of copper and make a whitewater clone, but your going to run through ALOT of fiberglass reenforced cutting discs as copper is tough stuff. Just remember to do your research, think ahead and plan out everything out as having to stop midway is aggrevating. :)

I can't imagine trying to slot bulk copper with fiberglass wheels... that's basically only good for sheet materials. There are metal dremel attachments that would be much more suited for that. I tried to make a block using a dremel once... that block is still sitting in my closet, half complete :D

Im working on my own block right now, check in my worklog to see how mine is coming along. My design is basically a PVC cap on top of a copper bar, with an inlet close tho the core, bent to make a cheap accelerater nozzle, and with two outlets at the top. It is pretty simple to make, although since you have access to a good mill (Im assuming) you could probably make a pretty good spiral at the least, or a clone of one of the more popular ones out right now with an acrylic top.

Happy milling :)

zer0signal667 said:
I can't imagine trying to slot bulk copper with fiberglass wheels...
Took about two hours and four cutting discs when I did it. I also burned my fingertips holding it steady. Ended up being a damn good waterblock, though.

where do yo get a cnc mill that cheap? I could see maybe 5k for an old rundown cnc, but a good cnc endmill usually costs in the range of 20-30k dollars new. At least that's how much mine cost and I did a lot of shoping around.

OPUS1 said:
Where can you buy that at that price I'll get one today!

That would be egay.

You _need_ this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58254&item=7504047768&rd=1
you will _want_ this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=7504671874&rd=1
And you'll be dreaming about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58253&item=7504402578&rd=1 :cool: :cool:

ps: on ebay germany a full CNC mill/lathe system went for 80.000? the other day... :drool:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
zer0signal667 said:
I can't imagine trying to slot bulk copper with fiberglass wheels... that's basically only good for sheet materials. There are metal dremel attachments that would be much more suited for that. I tried to make a block using a dremel once... that block is still sitting in my closet, half complete :D

I made a Nexxxos XP style waterblock with just a dremel and a drill. Performs better than my Swiftec 6000 block too.

i made an impingement style block with a dremel, a drillpress, a blowtorch, a lathe, a belt sander, sandpaper, a copper tube, and some 1/4" copper stock. works pretty well, but i need a shielded pump, some sheeting of some sort (to make a shroud) and some 120mm fans before i can hook it up again. having a 5gallon bucket of water in my room with an open top leads to nice high humidity, which isn't nice for computers.

if you want, i could probably draw up some sketches of what i did and post them, but you could also do your own research/experimentation. that's what i did. i have build a total of 4 waterblocks now.

that reminds me... i need to make/adapt one to a video card block... hmm...

with some determination/skill/luck, you can make a pretty decent block with low-end tools. however, you'd get better results with high-end stuff. it just depends on what you have available.

Little Grabbi said:
That would be egay.

You _need_ this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58254&item=7504047768&rd=1
you will _want_ this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=7504671874&rd=1
And you'll be dreaming about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58253&item=7504402578&rd=1 :cool: :cool:

ps: on ebay germany a full CNC mill/lathe system went for 80.000? the other day... :drool:

Most of those look like retrofitted Bridgeport style machines and the machinery mover fees are expensive, but for doing 1's and 2's it would work well. But the real expense is learning how to use them, broken tools while learning, and service calls from the local machinery dealer to fix your initial mistakes. :D :eek:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back