Home lab question.

Phreebird

n00b
I have a home lab setup. I have a Cisco 2821 behind my 2wire router. I cant ping inside the lab network from outside. But I can ping the outside from the inside. I'm thinking its because I can't route to the router from the 2wire. Any thoughts?

I have a home lab setup. I have a Cisco 2821 behind my 2wire router. I cant ping inside the lab network from outside. But I can ping the outside from the inside. I'm thinking its because I can't route to the router from the 2wire. Any thoughts?

This is because you have a firewall on your 2wire that is blocking access to your inside. This is designed this way for security. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Additionally to have access to the second router from the 1st router you would need:

1. Access granted through your firewall in the form of a portforward.
2. A static route between the two routers so they know how to reach one another.

This is because you have a firewall on your 2wire that is blocking access to your inside. This is designed this way for security. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Additionally to have access to the second router from the 1st router you would need:

1. Access granted through your firewall in the form of a portforward.
2. A static route between the two routers so they know how to reach one another.

1. Its not a port forward, thats something completely different. You need a rule to allow forwarding to the subnet behind the Cisco on the 2wire and a rule on the Cisco to allow access to its subnut from the 2wire subnet.

2. Some 2wires don't allow specification of static routes which make this an issue.

Back