Home IP range change, advice/pointers requested please...

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Ok, at home I still use a 192.168.1.xxx DHCP range, it came from my early networking days when I didn't know any better.

Now what I'm hoping for is for this to go nice and easy and as straight forward as possible.

I have, with Dash's help, sorted my openVPN with Untangle, and have also found that when I am connected remotely, sometimes, if I am connected at a location that uses a similar class c arrangement, I have some connectivity issues that once the range is changed is resolved.

So rather than have to change the range at every remote site I go to, it would make more sense to change my home range to something a little less popular/common... 10.0.0.x maybe!?!? I dunno, suggestions here too please..

I have:
untangle
hp 1810g-24
QNAP ts419 turbo nas
unifi AP
3x PC's
3x laptops
3x tablets
3x android smartphones
smart tv box
network CCTV dvr
a couple of iPod touch's

and whatever friends/relatives come over with.

Never usually all on at the same time though...

I've thought about this a few times in the past, but quite frankly, the enormity of the task scared the bejesus outta me on each occasion, and that was as far as I got.

What I'm after here is someone to point me in the right direction, cuz all hell will break loose if Xbox live or facebook goes down .....:rolleyes::eek::D

Do I start at the outside and work my way in or on the inside and work my way out?

Any 'popular' pitfalls or other anomalies that will 'interest' me in my upcoming task?

Many thanks

Oh, there are possibly 4 devices that have their IP's set statically from a small pool outside of my DHCP pool but obviously in the same subnet, dunno whether it matters or not but there you go...

If you are trying to avoid subnet collisions over the VPN, you want to make your own subnet as small and uncommon as possible.

I'd go with something like 172.29.249.128/26 ( off the top of my head, that may not be a valid private...but I think it is ). This will give you..62 hosts?

10.10.10.xx sounds good.:)

Now, how do i go about it? Where to start?:confused:

I have a horrible feeling that it is going to be considerably more difficult/less straight forward than I`d like.:(

- start with the firewall static ip,
- setup the dhcp scope
- set any other static devices that are needed (NAS, AP, printers, etc)
- enable DHCP
- reboot the devices or release/renew their ip's

keep in mind you may need to set your laptop/desktop to a static ip to apply the changes or to connect back and forth between devices.

Back