Home HD Projector questions ?

The-One

Gawd
Do you have to have a certain size room ?
How far does the projector have to be from say a 60-70" screen ?
Anyone know of any high quality projectors ?

Are projectors any good for regular constant t.v watching ?

Thanks

Most projector bulbs only last ~1K hours depending on usage.. So.. if you want to constantly be replacing bulbs if you watch a lot of TV, that works, but its expensive.

I've seen projectors set up in fairly small rooms, realistically if you can get a 60-70" wallspace and sit comfortably far away, you should be fine, there are adjustments on any decent projector. As per distance, I'd imagine around 15 feet or so.

As per high quality, that depends on what you are looking for, Epson and NEC make some pretty good stuff, but its not cheap.

Most bulbs I have seen in the last year last between 2000 to 6000 hours.
The room size does matter but it also depends on the projection distance of the particular projector you are looking at.
If you have 4 metres you will have no problem but its always wise to check the projectors throw distance.

Its not possible to recommend a projector until you say what its to be used on, what resolution you want, the size screen you are after and how much money you have to spend.

I've got a 106" screen. To make full use of it, the projector needs to be about 11 feet away from it. Optoma and In-Focus are good projector brands.

I throw from about 16 ft away to the 96" screen in my apartment. Seating distance is close to around 12 ft. I watch mainly HDTV and HD DVDs on my setup. Every now and then I'll watch SciFi or TLC and the picture still looks good. When it comes to setting up the room and choosing a projector that is right for you, I would suggest heading over to projectorcentral.com. They have calculators and reviews that would go a long way in helping with your decisions.

My friend has a Mitsubishi HD1000u that we have in our apartment and we have the screen size at ~95 inches right now, which is the most we can do in that room. I think it's around 11 feet perhaps. As far as bulb goes, there's different levels you can set it on to preserve the bulb more. Like he has his set on Low Lamp mode which lowers the light output a bit, but it's still plenty good. I guess the projector has some sort of security thing too where it won't let it operate if the bulb hours get to 3k. It'll start giving warning at 2500 and then it won't work once it reaches 3k until you replace the bulb. Overall, I think it's sick. He spent about $900 after shipping and everything on it, and I would say it's worth it for sure. The picture quality is amazing. The HD is so good on it. I think it looks just as good as any HD LCD or anything that you see playing HD stuff on it in stores. They also make projectors that do full 1080p now I believe. If you look up w1retap's home theater thread, he has on if I remember correctly. But yeah, overall, if you don't mind dropping ~$300 every couple years depending on how much you use it to get a new bulb, then they're real nice for TV, movies, anything.

I just bought the panny AX200U, very good projector for the price. My sitting distance is about 12ft and using 100" screen and the picture is awesome.

Placement flexibility is the main reason I bought it, you can have a throwing distance of just 9 feet and still get 100" picture, plus its silent.

I'm just starting to browse the ProjectorCentral.com website so I don't see any leaderboard do does anyone know of any ?
Or does anyone have any top five 1080P projectors list ? And, a best bang for the buck list ?

again, thanks

one site: www.avsforums.com

As for getting good responses...it might be hard since your question is very vague. Almost as vague as "what is a good monitor".

I was vaguely asking if I was to buy this this Projector
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae2000_home_theater_projector.htm

What would be the best screen for it ? (prolly 90-100")
And where does the majority buy them from ?

thanks

Also, can someone tell me where to buy a good montior at ?:D
To be honest though, I didn't know that there were crazy different types of screens for projectors.
I guess it is my noobness to Projectors and Projector screens that lead to my vagueness.
Also, I'm already a member at avsforum.com, I just wanted to ask here since I'm a noob and don't have a lot of good questions.
Sorry Buddy

Alot of FUD here.

No good bulb dies after 1000 hours. Around 3000 is the norm and thats ALOT of tv time.

I throw about 90 inches from some 8 feet away. Some projectors handle short throws better, some worse. You could get away with 70 from 5 feet if you had to depending on the hardware.

As far as screen goes, I'm not sure where a good place to buy them is as I've never had to. For ours we just have the white wall as a screen. We built a border out of wood and covered it in a black fabric and attached it to the wall, and inside of that is the wall painted white. Even like that I think the picture quality is really good. You can get special paint made for it as well. Might be cheaper than finding a screen. Also, you can build your own. W1retap, the person's thread I mentioned before, has a screen he built that came out really nice. So check that out if you want.

There are many manufacturers of screens. Da-Lite, Stewart, Carada, etc. I have a 96" Carada Brilliant White screen and I'm happy with it. You can also make your own out of MDF and white paint. Plenty of DIY instructions over at AVSForum.

Concerning the Panasonic PT-AE2000, if I had to by a 1080p LCD projector today, it would be my first choice. I've been nothing but happy with my PT-AE900.

"Alot of FUD here."

Whats that suposed to meen???? :rolleyes:

Back