Home gigabit switch

68chevy

n00b
Hey guys! Long time reader of HardOCP.com and been a lurker of HardForum.com for the past several months now.

Recently purchased a house with a basement and ran two cat5e runs to every room (minus the bathrooms :D ) For the time being I've only used six of the ports do my old d-link switch has worked just fine. Now I'm looking to upgrade to gigabit so I can stream HD movies and music to various rooms to their Roku device and/or radio receiver.

Switch needs to be 24 ports, fanless (no noise), no longer than 8" deep (to fit in my wall rack). As an added bonus it would be nice if the switch would support LACP since my two synology devices also support it though this isn't a hard requirement. Budgetwise I would like to stay at or under $200 if possible, used is just fine so long as it works.

What are you guys using that would fit this bill?

HP Procurve 1800-24g or 1810-24g. Not sure on the depth exactly but if I remember from when I had mine its probably close to 8" deep.

Check ebay as well, you may get lucky and find a good deal on something used. I recently got myself a Dell Powerconnect 24 port gigabit switch for under $200.

Most managed switches will have a fan though, and if they don't, they'll probably have heat issues.

I second the HP Procurve 1800 or 1810-24G.

They do have a fan, but are very quiet. You will not hear it from a few feet away.

I personally would not even consider any 24-port managed GB switch that didn't have a fan in it. That is just asking for trouble.

the 1810 is fanless (except the 48 port model). And with the HP lifetime warranty on it, I don't care it doesn't have a fan. (I have several in use in client offices)

...Most managed switches will have a fan though, and if they don't, they'll probably have heat issues.

...I personally would not even consider any 24-port managed GB switch that didn't have a fan in it. That is just asking for trouble.

Chevy let me start by saying I'm pretty much looking for something similar to you as well and I'm not expert. However with that said I've read around a few places that the HP 1810-24G v2 is pretty highly recommended around these parts and IS fanless. In fact this is the first I've read where people are suggesting against a fanless managed switch.

The best price I've been able to locate so far for the HP 1810-24G v2 is $270 from Pro Vantage and I reckon time you add shipping it's probably even closer to $300 which is out of your budget. eBay on the other hand I've been unable to find except people wanting just as much as new prices for used.

If you find anything in this range please share though, as I'd be interested too.

I'm not a managed switch guru but I have to say that I find the 1810(v1) WebUI very clunky at best, the 1910 is much better in that regard but does have a fan. In that regard I'd have to say that the D-lInk DGS-1500-20 doesn't seem bad at all.
//Danne

Chevy let me start by saying I'm pretty much looking for something similar to you as well and I'm not expert. However with that said I've read around a few places that the HP 1810-24G v2 is pretty highly recommended around these parts and IS fanless. In fact this is the first I've read where people are suggesting against a fanless managed switch.

The best price I've been able to locate so far for the HP 1810-24G v2 is $270 from Pro Vantage and I reckon time you add shipping it's probably even closer to $300 which is out of your budget. eBay on the other hand I've been unable to find except people wanting just as much as new prices for used.

If you find anything in this range please share though, as I'd be interested too.

I was not aware that the 1810 was fanless. The 1800 series are good switches. I would say go ahead and get the 1810 then as long as there is going to be some air flow where the switch will be installed.

Back