Home built watercooling

m1ndctrl

Weaksauce
I'm working on a new project. I'm going to use a mini refridgeration unit and turn it in to a water coolign setup, logically using freon.

However I have found that there will be one fundamental problem with cooling anywhere from -20 to -40 C. Frost will build up on the waterblock

Does anyone know of any waterblocks or anything you can put on a waterblock to prevent frost from forming on it?

Thanks

if you can... find out how the Prometia2 phase change cooling system does it

Insulate the hell out of the tubing and the waterblock.

From what I've seen of people taking apart the Prommy2 block, it's just a shitload of neoprene wrapped around a plastic cap.

Never tried this. But theoretically, you could dip the waterblock into some liquid rubber. Until you get a good sized coat. Then you let it harden. That should insulate well, then if you throw some neoprene on top of it, you maybe good to go. Naturally you'd leave the bottom untouched, and cover the tube inserts.

You could do that

Melt some rubber and poor it into a bowl

take ceran rap(sp?) and cover bottom and make sure your w/c tubes are in the block

from their dip it in untill the tubes get coated with rubber

for the back get some foam and use 2 way tape and stick a 1/2 thick (maybe 6x6inch square) underneath where your cpu would be

You can buy paint that is very thick and used to cover the handles of tools that would be excellent for this purpose. I believe it is laytex or something, but it is very tough, somewhat grippy, goes on thick, will not come off, ect.

Plus it comes in many fun colors! :D

Only colors worth painting it would be purple or pink

I prefer a rainbow of both myself :p

You may have a problem with the compressor for that fridge being too small/not powerful enough. Give us some specs so you dont end up burning up the compressor or your computer.

I don't have any specs in the system as of yet, however I will be doing this with the assistance of a local refrigeration teacher. He says that a small fridge refridgeration unit would be sufficient to cool the chip down to -30 C

I will get back to you (hopefully) tomorow for specs on the unit.

Thank you all for your replies.

The refridgeration teacher told me that one could use a special type of tubing that will not have frost build up and that the only problem is preventing frost build-up on the waterblock attached to the cpu

You are all saying to coat the outside sides and the top aswell as the valves with the tube attached in a thick layer of rubber correct?

I don't quite understand what I would have to do about the bottom however.

Thanx everyone!

Back