Home-built VPN Client?

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a few OpenVPN clients configured on my AC68U router thats running Merlin. I keep having intermittent connectivity issues with multiple clients when they're on the VPN 24/7. Ive had this issue on both AsusWRT and Merlin firmwares, on 2 separate AC68U routers, and using both ExpressVPN and NordVPN services (NordVPN is current provider). Ive tried countless servers from each provider.

It seems that when these devices go down the only remedy is to fully remove them from the rules list in Merlin VPN Client settings and then to flush DNS (Windows devices only). Sometime the devices need to be rebooted and/or the router & modem need to be rebooted.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this level of unreliability, and the 30Mbps max downlink speed running through the AC68U is also a bit annoying. So I was wondering if there's a relatively easy/cheap way to build a dedicated OpenVPN Client server on say...a cheap workstation or Rasberry Pi or something? What OS would be ideal for such a device? Or do they sell said devices pre-built, and I'm just too much of a novice to even know?

Back