Home based VM setup for server and desktop use?

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 6 Core Phenom II, 16gb of ram, an AMD 7950 video card with 2gb of ram, an SSD for the OS, and a couple 7200rpm sata drives for storage. It is by no means a server class box or anything super fancy, but I want to get a little more out of it. What I would like to do is setup an always on domain controller and a dev/web server or two, which may or may not be on simultaneously. I would also however like to retain some ability to do some occasional localized gaming if possible.

I don't really have a lot of experience outside of using ESX server at work so I don't know how well this will work for home use. It is my understanding that Hyper-V with RemoteFX requires a Quadro or FirePro. Not to mention that I understand a Hyper-V install has no local "desktop" capability so I wouldn't actually be able to use the machine for gaming at all. I have never used ESXi so I have no idea what if any limitations I would have there, does it support GPU acceleration or local "desktop" capability? I've been doing a little bit of research but I can't really find a lot of information about running this in a single server home type environment.

So the question is; do I have any options here to get everything I want, other than dual booting or something? Again I really don't know a lot about this stuff so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong about anything.

Been there. Done that.

Dual boot between hypervisor and gaming
or
VMWare Workstation + Gaming.

I preferred dual booting so my gaming would get max performance.

Back