• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

holy snikerdoodle! 290 savior!

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
8,089
water cooling is out of my budget. I decided to replace the thermal paste + remove the back bracket (i have a prodigy case so im able to do this) and OMFG the difference in sound/clocks. I used artic silver 5 (im aware i have a 200 hour burn in period) its a whole new gpu, ive been mining @ 20 intensity for a hour, and my fans arent even breaking 2500 rpms.
 
Was your paste really dry like old dirt? Mine was when I replaced it and I noticed a good drop in fan RPM required to maintain temps.

I wonder if anyone will make a high flow bracket for these.
 
I used artic silver 5 (im aware i have a 200 hour burn in period)
200-hour break-in period.
2-year lifespan.

Swap it for MX-4 if you get a chance. It has no break-in period and never needs to be re-applied. It'll also be a couple degrees cooler.
 
I had the artic silver 5 in my shop ready to go. with my rate of GPU's ill have this gpu for 4 more weeks until i get a different one lol
 
Was your paste really dry like old dirt? Mine was when I replaced it and I noticed a good drop in fan RPM required to maintain temps.

I wonder if anyone will make a high flow bracket for these.

a high flow bracket would be a instant purchase. and mine was horrible, i actually needed some hard plastic thing i had in my kitchen to get the massive globs of TIM off. never seen anything like it.
 
This gives me hope. I have some nice Thermal paste coming in for my 290's in CF. When mining they dump so much heat and I need quite a bit of fan to tame these beasts.
 
I have actually done the thermal paste swap on 3 290's and 2 290x's and for mining which pegs the gpu cores up to 100% I would say that it in fact makes a huge difference. It looks like about 10% off the max rpm depending on airflow on uber bios's to stay below the thermal throttling crud... so before 5x cards at 80% now 5x cards at 70% with the cards idling around 75-80c.

I wont say that this isn't common practice (also went ahead and swapped out a vaporx 7970... about the same) but come on basically need a razor to scrape the crap off its so thick and there is about a 1/2 mm on the four sides of the chips.

Also on the surface of the reference cooler about 1 in the 5 I have done so far is kind of jacked up and could use a good lapping.

Sadly all three 290's were 2020 cores so no unlocking. 2/3 had hynix memory so awesome khash/s(4200 with 5 combined), both the 290x's were elpidia.

Do you think new thermal pads would help get to 1500mhz on the ram?
 
I use 99% rubbing alcohol and it removed all the junk easily

4200 with 5 290s is pretty low. 290s at stock should get 830-835 1000/1500 and it's 875-880. 290x should be close to 980 on 1000/1500. If you are not using the card to display or game.you can mine at 1500 memory. Even with elpedia. However if you plug a display in and activate it. It will crash.
 
Do you think new thermal pads would help get to 1500mhz on the ram?

Heat from the memory IC is not going to be a limiting factor.
Voltage for the memory should be 1.5v and you might need to up your GPU core voltage a bit.
 
Well on my 2 hynix 290's @ 1000/1350 getting about 880 khash/s, on the elpidia about 830-840 at 947/1250, still haven't found good clocks so in the 900 range.... I guess I am using one of the cards for a display so I cant run 1000/1500 but I have not tried that on the non connected cards... will give that a shot. I can also fire up the apu for display but wrecks havock on the config. So I guess a second question would be how to disable a open cl device from cgminer? Also to get 1000 on the 290x's you running any other things like powertune or any kind of special flags?

Thanks.
 
I use 99% rubbing alcohol and it removed all the junk easily

4200 with 5 290s is pretty low. 290s at stock should get 830-835 1000/1500 and it's 875-880. 290x should be close to 980 on 1000/1500. If you are not using the card to display or game.you can mine at 1500 memory. Even with elpedia. However if you plug a display in and activate it. It will crash.

I keep reading people saying what a card should do, and I just don't think that's correct. It seems really variable, at least on my cards. Identical clocks one hashes 100 better, I read this stuff all over the place, and I just don't buy that there is a normal assumed hashrate for the 290 cards.
 
Just to give an update to this I finally got my 1x to 16x risers and enabled the onboard apu (from A6 6400k) and using that as a display. I was able to set the clocks on the 3 290's to 1000/1500 and the two hynix's are doing right around 900khash and the elpidia is in the 880 range now, so about 2.7mhash from that box. Thanks for the advice Digital Viper-X- ,

Still working on the 290x's

FYI to get these settings using -I 20 -w 256 -lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 32765 --gpu-engine 1000 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-powertune 20

Now I just need to tweak the 8470d as I am only getting like 10khash/sec or just turn it off so any advice on that (with a .conf file) would be golden ;)

on cat 13.12 drivers fyi
 
Back
Top