Holy Crap Video of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did any of you know that you could do this? I need to play with lighters and clear CD inserts more often. Thank Ed_Ed for the linkage.

Hmm..I just tried it with a clear insert that came with a bulk spindle of blank DVDs....didn't work, and now I think I'm high on the fumes.

Probably the wrong type of plastic on mine.

Holy smack, that is so awesome... if I still got those at home I'm trying it out when I get there.

i'll give that a try later on today... I'm a bit skeptical; the 'bubble' imo, had too great surface area, and it troubles me that the video ends so abruptly...

ill give it shot though. I should have plenty of inserts

Steve, are you a farker? If so, what is your name there?

I see alot of the same stories on both sites and I was just curious

FAKE!!!!!

I tried this several weeks ago with several different "clear" CDs. If the plastic was that soft (to make a bubble of sorts) after heating it with a lighter, it would have just dripped to the floor once the flame touched it.

i'll give that a try later on today... I'm a bit skeptical; the 'bubble' imo, had too great surface area, and it troubles me that the video ends so abruptly...

ill give it shot though. I should have plenty of inserts

Update:: Tried it 9 times on two inserts from memorex cds and dvds. No luck. The plastic got soft and was plyable, but no bubbles. If I held the flame any longer, a hole quickly melted through the plastic. Perhaps there is different kinds of plastics used.
It might not be a fake, as I found several more videos on youtube with other succesful results. Oh well.. anyone else having any luck??

haha brilliant.
Maybe it is the softer drippy plastic but you have to catch it before it starts to drip.

It works, is difficult but it does indeed work.
I have yet to get a "bubble" that big yet guess more practice is needed.

The "cd" being used in a lot of the videos is the clear plastic disc that is at the bottom of a spindle to protect it from getting scratched up.

OK, I just tried it and it does work, it just took me a few tries to get it right. Mine didn't end up looking as nice as the one in the video though.

It works, I made sure I tried it before I posted the video. There are also several other videos out there of people doing this.

Makes you wonder who was the first person to do this and what were the circumstances that lead up to this discovery.

Steve, are you a farker? If so, what is your name there?

I see alot of the same stories on both sites and I was just curious

???

We get hundreds of news submissions a day (as do the other big sites), I just pick the best ones / biggest news stories / stuff I can make fun of / shit you guys will like. I give credit to submitters and always try to link the original source for something.

The reason you see the same stuff across your favorite sites is because hundreds of thousands of readers a day visit the same sites [H], Gizmodo, Engadget, Digg, Slashdot, Fark, etc. etc. etc. and if we haven't posted it yet....50k of you will submit it ;)

Haha that's awesome. I wonder how even someone came up with the idea to do this.

i got it to work, after a couple tries. it was pretty fun. the bubble that formed was very narrow compared to the video, but about as long (that's what she said!).

???

We get hundreds of news submissions a day (as do the other big sites), I just pick the best ones / biggest news stories / stuff I can make fun of / shit you guys will like. I give credit to submitters and always try to link the original source for something.

The reason you see the same stuff across your favorite sites is because hundreds of thousands of readers a day visit the same sites [H], Gizmodo, Engadget, Digg, Slashdot, Fark, etc. etc. etc. and if we haven't posted it yet....50k of you will submit it ;)

This should be in the [H] FAQ since I get this question fairly often as well. ;)

Update:: Tried it 9 times on two inserts from memorex cds and dvds. No luck. The plastic got soft and was plyable, but no bubbles. If I held the flame any longer, a hole quickly melted through the plastic. Perhaps there is different kinds of plastics used.
It might not be a fake, as I found several more videos on youtube with other succesful results. Oh well.. anyone else having any luck??

perhaps you need to visualize that you are a hot russian woman who's doing the blowing. maybe even mail-order a few russian lighters to work with. i'll leave the continuation of this train of thought (up to and including sex change) as an exercise to the reader. ;)

This should be in the [H] FAQ since I get this question fairly often as well. ;)

Yeah, we should. ;)

What people forget is that there is roughly a 50 : 1 ratio in the forums. Look at any popular thread:

R x 50 = V x 50 = X ---> infinity

50 replies (x 50) = 2500 views (x 50) = people that read the news article and never bother read the comments / post a reply. :D

I don't know if it's fake but her baratone voice at the begining definately makes me believe (s)he's a TRAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0010-3.JPG

I fail.

<snip>

I fail.

you can try using a 100W light bulb, just put the plastic near it and i´ll begin to melt. (that's how i melt plastic rulers just for fun :D)

assuming the polymer you are using is a thermoplastic not a thermostable one of course :D

I don't know if it's fake but her baratone voice at the begining definately makes me believe (s)he's a TRAP.

<snip>

that pic looks like photochop to me
just like the one where Steve wears a bra ;)

Its fake and so is the russian "woman" in the video.
Anyone catch the Hitler Scammed by Nigerian on youtube? Or the Volkswaffe?

after much research on my part, I have found that this CD trick was discovered by a desperate man who had run out of condoms.

No luck here so far either. Did kill some time (and likely a few brain cells) while stuck on a conf call though.

Try holding the lighter further away so it heats a larger spot and will heat it slower so its less likely to turn liquid before you can spot it.

I split a dvdr in half.
On the third attempt I learned that the plastic had to be at or just above the dripping point.
Maybe a nice campfire tick someday...
dvdtrick_r.jpg

perhaps you need to visualize that you are a hot russian woman who's doing the blowing. maybe even mail-order a few russian lighters to work with. i'll leave the continuation of this train of thought (up to and including sex change) as an exercise to the reader. ;)

Why Russian? How about polish, from Prague, or even Ukranian?

i failed... and i think i'm high :D

will try again later after i come back down hehehe

Back