Holy Crap!! Phenom II 6 GHz+ OVERCLOCK

well there is one hot game called LEFT 4 DEAD that uses all 4 cores based on the SOURCE engine

thats a good thing. im all for faster and better gaming. except its released on xbox and pc. which means it was probly primarily a console game which has been ported. xbox360s use multicore core processors, so its not really too surprsing to see multicore support.

Both the new Phenom2 chips work with both AM2+ and AM3 MB. So no new MB, no new RAM. To me it looks like the logical setup for the $$ right now. Your choice is a dead end socket775, a $$burner i7(go price out 12BGig i7 compatible RAM & MB) or an AM2+ system with cheap RAM, and future upgrade ability to AM3 CPU's.
Why is everyone so hissy there might be some competition?

just because the chip fits on the board doesnt mean youll get the same performance.

thats a good thing. im all for faster and better gaming. except its released on xbox and pc. which means it was probly primarily a console game which has been ported. xbox360s use multicore core processors, so its not really too surprsing to see multicore support.

Left4Dead was always primarily a PC game. The Xbox version is the port, not the PC version.

Left4Dead was always primarily a PC game. The Xbox version is the port, not the PC version.

tried it out and this game has some major problems, one of them being buggy support for multicore cpus that makes the game almost unplayable. had to add a config file to tell it to run on one core. ............

This amuses me. "Back in the day" it was Intel chips going for sky-high frequencies (4GHz, 5GHz, 6GHz etc). How things have changed.
Intel just increased the length of their pipeline in order to allow clockspeeds to balloon so they would look better against the competition (consumer thinks higher clockspeed = faster overall). problem is, this caused their chips to do less work per-clockcycle (on average depending upon load) and run hot as hell.

AMD seems to be keeping their short pipeline, meaning this is a process improvement, not just for show.

my point about the quads being useless...im talking about today. and for a while yet.
I suppose cutting my Maya render times in half vs a dual core is useless then?

just because the chip fits on the board doesnt mean youll get the same performance.

There is no reason why you wouldn't get the same performance from the CPU. All things being equal (SB750) the only difference will be DDR3 vs. DDR2 which will affect memory bandwidth obviously. Why do you think you would not get the same performance from the CPU?

tried it out and this game has some major problems, one of them being buggy support for multicore cpus that makes the game almost unplayable. had to add a config file to tell it to run on one core. ............

I've never had, nor seen anyone else have, an issue with L4D's multi-core support.

I've never had, nor seen anyone else have, an issue with L4D's multi-core support.

well a quick google search for left for dead freezing , left for dead crashing will get you a ton. the only working solution to stop the random freezing/looping was to disable the multicore threading via a cfg file. you're using an intel chip so it may not be affected in the same way.

I'm using an X2 5000+ at 3.0 and I've never had an issue with L4D's multicore threading either. In fact, it completely maxes out both cores :)

Hey Rouge71 why do you think that majority of the people that own high end hardware are gamers and WR benchers? I can definitely understand WR benchers...but gamers?

Back