Hollywood’s Bad Summer Movies Are Driving a Decline in Movie Ticket Sales

My nephew got me to go see King Kong, but other than that, Star Wars will be the only other one I go to a theater for this year.

With stadium seating the experience isn't too bad, though the refreshments could be much cheaper. Mostly because if they sold the soda in less than gallon containers for the small size it wouldn't cost so much. You know they do that simply so you have to have a bathroom break in the middle of the movie, that way you might watch it again to see the part you missed :)

Way to many movies being released that is the problem... worth it or not regular people don't have the time or cash flow to make that kind of investment week in week out!

Absolutely true! In the 70's/80's you'd get around a 1 or 2 dozen a year in the U.S. Now it's like half a dozen a week and that doesn't count the many others being released around the world. It's not just Hollywood suffering from the 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'. The movie making industry is definitely suffering from over-saturation.

Theaters are awful, loud-ass kids and stinky white-trash.

I'll watch them from my clean house, on my premium sound system... with alcohol. All it takes is patience, i'm so far behind on movies it would be pointless even watching a new release at this point.

So good movies are doing well and bad movies aren't. Doesn't seem like a problem for movie goers. It seems like studios need to do a better job of not releasing crap.

I went and looked at the numbers for the summer. It appears to actually be a bit more complicated than that.

Hollywood seems to have gotten the message that having a supply of $30-40 million movies that cna turn a profit more easily is important. It also means you get to have more movies that aren't just some shade of pop-culture beige. It does however mean that you aren't packing as many asses into the seats. With current revenue sharing agreements, this is problematic for theaters and distributors. IT also means that movie revenue will drop off because while you may be making 4-5x the cost of the movie, it's still only performing as well as a $200 million movie that breaks even.

Studios still need to get better at deciding where the big bucks go, but they also have to figure out how to preserve the theater system while changing the economic lifecycle of a movie, or get into different distribution methods than movie theaters.

I go to about 1 movie a year, sometimes 2. I know people that go EVERY WEEKEND. They have a schedule, date night : dinner and a movie. They usually don't even know what they're going to see until they get to the theater. Another interesting fact... these people are broke, I wonder why. They're blowing $100+ a weekend on dinner out and a movie they didn't really want to see, they just wanted to get out of the house. Or even more $$, if they have time to kill and end up wandering the mall spending money until the movie starts. I told the guy that if he skipped that BS for 2 months he could buy a 1080p projector and watch big screen movies in his own home. TLDR, I think he found it easier to just get a divorce and find cheaper hobbies.
Truly broke/poor people also buy popcorn and sodas at theaters at exorbitant prices.
Here where I live, they charge per paper bags at the store cash registers. Traditionally, you want to get out fast so you look to see which line has the fewest people and the fewest people with the fewest items.
But if people ask for bags and cashier has to bag them, it takes a lot longer. You can be nearly certain that any poor person will ask for bags.

On topic. I think the divide between the theater and home is much less than it was now that everyone can afford a big HDTV. The theater is purely a social experience (and an expensive one at that).

I go to about 1 movie a year, sometimes 2. I know people that go EVERY WEEKEND. They have a schedule, date night : dinner and a movie. They usually don't even know what they're going to see until they get to the theater. Another interesting fact... these people are broke, I wonder why. They're blowing $100+ a weekend on dinner out and a movie they didn't really want to see, they just wanted to get out of the house. Or even more $$, if they have time to kill and end up wandering the mall spending money until the movie starts. I told the guy that if he skipped that BS for 2 months he could buy a 1080p projector and watch big screen movies in his own home. TLDR, I think he found it easier to just get a divorce and find cheaper hobbies.

I have a 1080p projector, theatre seating for 4, 5.1 surround and its cool... but it doesnt replace the theater experience for me. I can't tell you why, because there is a million reasons watching a movie in a dark room with a bunch of rude strangers should be terrible. Instead i find myself enjoying movies and the movie going experience a lot more then i do in my own basement. Then seeing Dunkirk in imax was pretty awesome too. I do not buy theatre food / drink.

I think... i can't be happy if i am home.

Back