Hollywood Sees Illegal Streaming Devices as “Piracy 3.0”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Yet another article that reiterates the prominence of streaming as the modern avenue for piracy. Hollywood has certainly taken notice and is treating streaming hardware as the third major challenge following peer-to-peer and online sites offering free media. The major concern is that users are granted Netflix-like levels of convenience and immediacy even for the latest releases, yet rightsholders are not getting paid. Perhaps studios can try starting their own streaming services with their entire catalogs for a competitive price and see how that offsets things. They could even charge a premium fee for a special tier that lets you stream theater releases a week or two after debut, assuming they can get the protection right.

After hunting down torrent sites for more than a decade, Hollywood now has a more complex piracy threat to deal with. According to the Motion Picture Association, illegal streaming devices can be seen as "Piracy 3.0," offering a Netflix-like experience to consumers, but without rightsholders getting paid. Much like Hollywood, copyright infringers are innovators who constantly change their “business models” and means of obtaining content. Where torrents were dominant a few years ago, illegal streaming devices are now the main threat, with McCoy describing their rise as Piracy 3.0.

Buggy whip manufacturers scared of automobiles...? In this age? The line has clearly been drawn for several years now.

So Hollywood er... their lawyers... are just upset because they're having a hard time extorting $5k a shot for everyone clicks on a streaming site?

Yet another article that reiterates the prominence of streaming as the modern avenue for piracy. Hollywood has certainly taken notice and is treating streaming hardware as the third major challenge following peer-to-peer and online sites offering free media. The major concern is that users are granted Netflix-like levels of convenience and immediacy even for the latest releases, yet rightsholders are not getting paid. Perhaps studios can try starting their own streaming services with their entire catalogs for a competitive price and see how that offsets things. They could even charge a premium fee for a special tier that lets you stream theater releases a week or two after debut, assuming they can get the protection right.

After hunting down torrent sites for more than a decade, Hollywood now has a more complex piracy threat to deal with. According to the Motion Picture Association, illegal streaming devices can be seen as "Piracy 3.0," offering a Netflix-like experience to consumers, but without rightsholders getting paid. Much like Hollywood, copyright infringers are innovators who constantly change their “business models” and means of obtaining content. Where torrents were dominant a few years ago, illegal streaming devices are now the main threat, with McCoy describing their rise as Piracy 3.0.
Define competitive. Is that 100/month? 50? 10? 5? Free?

Making it impossible for a potential customer to purchase your product legitimately, only forces them to turn to illegitimate means of acquiring it. Thus, you have turned away a customer.

These guys are even mad that people go to second hand stores to buy their stuff that is OUT OF PRINT/DISTRIBUTION. Like it's the consumer's fault that these companies won't produce more copies of the thing they want to buy? Have these imbeciles learned nothing from Napster?

I could pirate movies and TV shows all day everyday if I wanted to. But Netflix and Hulu cover so much ground for me now, that it's not even worth the effort to hunt that shit down and -hope- I find a good quality source. The only thing that's left on the table is seeing a movie that's in theaters, but at home. If I could pay ten or even twenty bucks to just watch it at home instead with my wife? I'd be just fine with it.

Making it impossible for a potential customer to purchase your product legitimately, only forces them to turn to illegitimate means of acquiring it. Thus, you have turned away a customer.

These guys are even mad that people go to second hand stores to buy their stuff that is OUT OF PRINT/DISTRIBUTION. Like it's the consumer's fault that these companies won't produce more copies of the thing they want to buy? Have these imbeciles learned nothing from Napster?

I could pirate movies and TV shows all day everyday if I wanted to. But Netflix and Hulu cover so much ground for me now, that it's not even worth the effort to hunt that shit down and -hope- I find a good quality source. The only thing that's left on the table is seeing a movie that's in theaters, but at home. If I could pay ten or even twenty bucks to just watch it at home instead with my wife? I'd be just fine with it.

I have four paid streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, HBO now, and Hulu plus plus no commercials for really real except shows that have commercials so fuck you deal with it edition) and I STILL can't get access to a lot of things I want to watch. Perfect example, Bobs Burgers. You cannot stream it from anywhere now unless you want to pony up $30 for a season on Amazon. Fox pulled their contract with Netflix, and there is no place else to watch it. So, I went out and grabbed a cheap Kodi box. Problem solved.

I have four paid streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, HBO now, and Hulu plus plus no commercials for really real except shows that have commercials so fuck you deal with it edition) and I STILL can't get access to a lot of things I want to watch. Perfect example, Bobs Burgers. You cannot stream it from anywhere now unless you want to pony up $30 for a season on Amazon. Fox pulled their contract with Netflix, and there is no place else to watch it. So, I went out and grabbed a cheap Kodi box. Problem solved.
Bobs burgers has been on Hulu for as long as I remember stateside.
I just watched the new episode last night to piss of my fiancé. She loves archer but hates BB.

Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Also it's hilarious that piracy evolved while the dinosaurs refused to.

Last edited:
WRdG2SS.jpg

True Pirates give away what others would charge you for. We used to call that chivalry and promoted the concept of Robin Hood as a good guy.

Just something to think about. I like thinking. I also think I don't care what Hollywood thinks. Again.

I'd bet they make it a minimum of $30 per title for that convenience.

That is still reasonable compared to how much a night at the movies actually costs. I'd pay it for the convenience of not having to worry about the Douchebag Army who ruin the movie theater atmosphere. (Examples: The Bro Squad, The Cellphone Addict, Team Mommy and Screaming Baby, Mr. and Mrs. We-Don't-Read-MPAA-Ratings and The Soon-To-Be Mentally Scarred Offspring)

Did you mean previous seasons? Because Season 7 is on Hulu right now. But yes, lack of access is definitely still driving people to less-than-legit means.

Bobs burgers has been on Hulu for as long as I remember stateside.
I just watched the new episode last night to piss of my fiancé. She loves archer but hates BB.

Is there a difference in who is broadcasting the show? Because I could swear I remember Netflix at one time touting that they were showing Archer uncensored, suggesting that there was content that wasn't put on the air for super obvious reasons. I've binge-watched so much crap lately that it all kinda blends together.

That is still reasonable compared to how much a night at the movies actually costs. I'd pay it for the convenience of not having to worry about the Douchebag Army who ruin the movie theater atmosphere. (Examples: The Bro Squad, The Cellphone Addict, Team Mommy and Screaming Baby, Mr. and Mrs. We-Don't-Read-MPAA-Ratings and The Soon-To-Be Mentally Scarred Offspring)

Did you mean previous seasons? Because Season 7 is on Hulu right now. But yes, lack of access is definitely still driving people to less-than-legit means.

Is there a difference in who is broadcasting the show? Because I could swear I remember Netflix at one time touting that they were showing Archer uncensored, suggesting that there was content that wasn't put on the air for super obvious reasons. I've binge-watched so much crap lately that it all kinda blends together.
FOX animation domination has been on Hulu since like 2011 if my memory serves me right. Archer is on FX NOW. I don't know where it used to be though.

I'm a huge OG Simpsons fan.

Now after being sick all weekend and wanting to binge a little Daria -- I'm sad to say that's a little harder to find free.

Yeah, I'd pay $25 to avoid those things too. People that bring infants to movies should be denied entrance. Also little kids, at a non kiddie movie. I only go to maybe 2 movies a year. When I went to Rogue One (free ticket, thank you T-Mobile!) I wound up next to a dad and his two six/seven year old boys. They did not shut up once during the entire movie. What's happening? Who's that guy? Why is he doing that? What's happening? Why is ..... just endless. If I had paid real money to see it I would have been pissed.

But I don't think it will ever happen. It's not Hollywood per se, it's the movie theater chains... your AMC and Cinemarks of the world. They only make like a buck per ticket for the movie, what they make money on is $5 sodas and $10 popcorn, etc. They will fight to the end to prevent first run movies being allowed for in-home viewing.

There's no way they'd do it for 20. Let's run the numbers. Family of four rents movie at home for 10 or 20 bucks. Theater gets no money and studios lose at least 50% of the box office. It's a loser. Maybe they'd do that a month or 2 afterwards, but if they do it 2 weeks afterwards, then theaters go out of business, because they don't make money on the box office until the movie is out a few weeks.

If you want to watch a new movie, go to the theater...otherwise you wait. This is no different than wanting a 2017 car for 20grand or more off list...you can do that...but you're not getting it in 2017.

I'd bet they make it a minimum of $30 per title for that convenience.
I'd say 50. They can't control how many people are watching, and 5 people = 50 (minimum) at the theater, where the studio gets virtually 100% of the box office for the first few weeks.

It's been proven time and again that consumers will opt for the legal alternative if (a) it exists, (b) it is priced fairly and (c) it has the features they want.

What's been the main gripe of Netflix streaming since its inception? It doesn't have all the latest movies/shows, and/or what one region gets is different than the others. Whose fault is that? Hint: not Netflix's.

Go ahead, keep fragmenting, keep providing an inferior service for an inflated price, and keep litigating the hundred-headed hydra because you can't compete. It's worked out great so far.

It's been proven time and again that consumers will opt for the legal alternative if (a) it exists, (b) it is priced fairly and (c) it has the features they want.

What's been the main gripe of Netflix streaming since its inception? It doesn't have all the latest movies/shows, and/or what one region gets is different than the others. Whose fault is that? Hint: not Netflix's.

Go ahead, keep fragmenting, keep providing an inferior service for an inflated price, and keep litigating the hundred-headed hydra because you can't compete. It's worked out great so far.

Agreed. Honestly, they also need to get rid of the DRM. It only punishes their actual paying customers. If I had the choice between paying $14.99 for a video on Amazon that is going to be downgraded to 720p or 480p because I am not running it on an "approved" HD device, or paying nothing for the ability to stream it in 1080p on anything I want, which one would I choose? I think the answer is obvious, yet they keep trying to guilt people into buying that 480p because watching the better product is "immoral".

10 years from now:
Hm, hollywood? Is that the archaic group of movie tycoons who failed to produce anything of worth for decades but still demanded compensation, and withered into obscurity, because they were made completely redundant by streaming and TV?

Or maybe these studios could stop being braindead and allow netflix/hulu/etc. access to their catalog? And not for a few months, maybe a year? Or pay the lawyers to go after pirates.

Movie industry still haven't learned. Remember what happened with the music industry when they tried to do the same route as the movie industry still pursue.

I gave up on doing things legally after Netflix was pressured into blocking VPN services and the bulk of useful media was geoblocked, why can't I watch a re-run of the X-Files from the 80's/90's damn it! It's a bloody joke!

Back